MMS Score????

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
Just been given a copy of the letter from the neurologist to Monique's Doctor - waffles on about things which I need to sit down with a dictionary to sort out their precise meaning but it does talk about her MMS score..

Says the MMS score in January 2004 was 21/30

The score last week was 15/30

Anyone tell me what the latest score means - in relation perhaps to the 7 steps of AD perhaps or ..... well just any info would be good.

thanks

Michael

KarenC

Jun 2, 2005
Los Angeles, USA
Michael,

I wouldn't necessarily make too much of the mini-mental score. For a couple of years my mom scored high (27 or 28 out of 30) on this although it was obvious to us she was having real difficulty coping with daily life.

Her score also went up and down by several points (later on) without it seeming to mean anything except she was having a good day or bad day, was energetic vs tired, was confident vs anxious, etc.

I think when she got into the low- to mid-teens (around where Monique is) she was in assisted living and close to being moved to the dementia home because her agitation/aggression was too much for the assisted living home to handle.

Different facilities seem to be affected in different patients, so the score, while a general indicator of deterioration, probably tells you less than your observations of specific behaviors or problems Monique has.

Karen

McK

Sep 13, 2005
Pgh. Pa. USA
Cognitive Test

Michael - I think we're talking about the same tests as used here in the states. My wife was part of a "Memory Disorder Clinic" run by a local hospital that was affiliated with the U. Of Pgh. which does research on dementia and alzheimers. All her tests related to the elements of perception. The clinic also ran all the usual physical tests, and from scoring around 50% at her first testing, after 1 1/2 years, she couldn't be tested because she was totally confused by it all. My wife was 56 years old when first diagnosed, and I was told then, that when the disease occurs early it progresses fairly rapidly. My wife is now 65 and in an infant like state. I understand that almost every case is different, and I hope and pray for you and all who are going through this "perilous test" of our wills at this time. Best Wishs, McK

connie

Mar 7, 2004
Frinton-on-Sea
Would agree with all Karen has said.

Lionels MMS score has always been fairly high, whilst his spacial awareness is almost all gone. We shall see the consultant early next month, have the tests again, but I do try not to take too much notice of the result.

I know how Lionel is, when he is deteriating, like now, or when he is more stable.
A better guide is to remember exactly what they can do these times, rather than an abstract test result. Connie

Sheila

Oct 23, 2003
West Sussex
Hi Michael, these tests really are just pointers for the professionals. When you are with someone constantly, you are much more fine tuned to the little things that are not quite right anymore. Don't dwell on them. Go with the flow and live for the moment, good or bad, once gone, let it go and move on, hopefully to a moment that is more bearable. Thinking of you, lotsaluv, She. XX

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
I agree with Connie.

I've always been a fan of keeping as many records as possible so I can refer back, and compare what Jan could do then....compared with now.

Even at this late stage I am doing this.

For instance, it was Jan's 65th birthday this week.

If I compare my birthday visit from the past few years:
Bruce's diary said:
2001 - "Jan’s birthday. I arrived at 1pm as Jan’s family from Neath had asked to visit her—first [and last] time they had shown interest. I had warned the ward staff to be on hand lest they scare Jan by going over the top; I told them [the staff] I would physically throw them out if so. As things turned out, they were okay today. They stayed from about 2pm until 5.30pm. I left at 6pm. Jan was really good and so brave, considering she must have been very confused. A good few smiles, a few near tears. The staff sang “Happy Birthday” to her earlier today. I feel so frustrated that I am unable to help her."

2002 - "Jan’s birthday. I was officially working from home today, but for the most part I was resting my back. In the afternoon I called in at Marks and Spencer to pick up flowers and a cake for Jan for her birthday. At the home, Jan seemed pleased—as far as one can tell—to see the flowers and cake. She enjoyed a piece of the cake and a cup of tea. There was no real joining of, well, anything, but we had a nice time. I gave the rest of the cake to the staff."

2003 - "Jan’s 63rd birthday. Linda the chef had made a birthday cake. Jan and I spent the first 30 minutes crawling in her room. Then we went to the dining room where a poster had been set up with balloons and everyone sang Happy Birthday to Jan. As good a visit as one could expect but I find that Jan’s sight deficiency very disconcerting."

2004 - "Jan’s 64th Birthday. I took in a rock cake I had made, plus chocolates, plus 12 red roses. Ann also came and we all spent the visit in the soft room. Jan was not very communicative and as always fell to her left all the time."

2005 - "Jan’s 65th birthday.I arrived for tea. A card and chocolates were already there from Nina's daughter, plus some balloons arranged by the home. I took in Jan’s other cards and some flowers. Linda the chef had made a chocolate birthday cake for Jan. Jan was oblivious to everything as she was fast asleep. I sat by her for 20 minutes then held her hand, just after which Jan stirred and woke up. We had some nice moments and some seeming recognition, a few words, even. Gave Jan some cake, but she also nose-dived into the plate with messy chocolate results! Had some “oohs” and other near words from her. Nice visit."
From these I can confirm that Jan's eyesight and her ability to crawl have now gone from her. I'm still getting some responses though.

At an earlier stage, when a person is still at home, such records can track behavioural situations and when this or that was lost, either temporarily, or for good.

I'd not read too much into the MMSE. YOU know how she is and that is what counts.

Michael E

Apr 14, 2005
Ronda Spain
Thank you

Very grateful for all those posts - thank you. I am going to try to see the GP today to see if there is any help I can get to give me some time off - and to see if I can change the neurologist for someone who Monique finds more sympathetic - maybe a man -
Michael

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian.Hogan