MMM Chocolate Fetish

baggy trousers

Feb 26, 2009
My father in law is about coming to the end of any help from medication and has suddenly developed a craving for chocolate,even searching the house for it.Have googled it & chocolate is found to be beneficial,has anyone else experienced this & is it coincidence or do they know?

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
have never heard of it before only that the chemical or what ever they put in chocolate does give the brain a feel good feeling .

So if your father - in law getting some comfort from eating chocolate and he is not diabetic, let him have as much as he likes .

Just wondering did your father- in law have a sweet tooth , because his Dementia ?

read this

Placebo-controlled trials suggest chocolate consumption may subtly enhance cognitive performance. As reported by Dr Bryan Raudenbush (2006), scores for verbal and visual memory are raised by eating chocolate. Impulse-control and reaction-time are also improved. This study needs replicating.

A "symposium" at the 2007 American Association for the Advancement of Science - hyped as a potentially "mind-altering experience" - presented evidence that chocolate consumption can be good for the brain. Experiments with chocolate-fed mice suggest that flavanol-rich cocoa stimulates neurovascular activity, enhancing memory and alertness. This research was partly funded by Mars, Inc.

http://www.chocolate.org/

Last edited:

ChrisH

Apr 16, 2008
Devon, England
A nice bar of fruit and nut is the order of the day for mum at the moment. It was the nice round chocs that the ambassador spoilt you with (for those who remember the add), but I think the plastic wrapper round the box got a bit too difficult for her so she's switched to something more easily accessible.:D
Anything to make her a bit happier is fine by me.

Chris

lesmisralbles

Account Closed
Nov 23, 2007
Chocoholic

RON:D
He is 85 this May.
He can have all the chocolate he want's:D
OK, only after he has had his dinner/ lunch/brekfast.
See bribe them.
You can have chocolate. After you have had the meal.

Works, every time;)

So, the moral of the story is :):D;)

baggy trousers

Feb 26, 2009
Interesting Margerita because he wasn;t allowed chocolate because of cholesterol problems but frankly who cares at this stage about cholesterol. makes you wonder about the simvastin thread earlier in the week!!!

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
The thing that my Jan, at her late stage of dementia, shows she loves is chocolate.

In particular Thornton's coffee, cappuccino, Viennese. [I'm sure other brands might be well accepted, and she likes Kit-Kat too].

Thing to remember that chocolate is also a laxative.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
My mum loves Lindor round chocolates with smooth chocolate filling. They are really easy to eat and no nutty bits to get under dentures.

Once upon a time, many years ago, before we understood what was happening to her and well before she was noticeably forgetful, I found her eating cocoa powder from a tin, with a dessert spoon.:eek: I think it was a sweetened version, not just straight powder, but if that wasn't a craving, nothing was.:)

Cl13

Feb 19, 2009
Cumbria uk
At the moment mum is addicted to Thorntons choc covered toffee and she's not on her own lol, she's always been a fan of Cadberry's, choc as well as biscuits, if there's none in the house she will settle for a kit-kat lol. Lynn

Amber 5

Jan 20, 2009
Berkshire
Interesting - A few years ago it was a standing joke in our family that my mum could never have a meal without finishing off with 'something sweet'. Then she started buying a lot of chocolate bars (especially when they were on special offers!) but the chunky kitkats were favourite. For a while, her house seemed to always be full of cakes, biscuits, sweets etc. even though she lives alone. Then about a year ago when we were really taking her symptoms seriously, and she fainted a few times whilst out shopping, it hasn't been quite so bad.
However, at the moment it is Thornton's Licquorice toffee.
With hindsight, maybe the sweet tooth 'thing' was a sign - but it is definately a part of her life as she has to take sweet treats up to bed with her - keeps her going through the night I think.
Gill x

Heather777

Jul 24, 2008
Bristol
Chocs galore

My mum loves cakes and chocolates, she is currently munching cadbury caramel bars. In fact we know she is not well when she doesn't want chocolate. We did put them out of her immediate reach so that she would have to get up to get them, the only time she got out of her chair, that was her exercise regime. We decided that because she wasn't diabetic she deserved something nice in her life! Keep it coming I say!!

x

Snip

Mar 16, 2009
My mum used to be a chocoholic......since she went on fluoxetine about 6 weeks ago she has lost the taste for it. I'd noticed the two things coinciding and wondered if the fluoxetine altered her mood in the same way as chocolate so there is no 'need' for the choccy fix??:confused:

Actaully...it's ME who needs the chocolate.....

Last edited:

jenny48

Sep 19, 2008
Hello All

My mum always loved chocolate and would take bars to bed many times a week, but I am afraid it now makes her very sick so I have had to stop her getting any. My name is mud when I say no to her getting a couple of bars but she is so ill, and usually in the middle of the night, that I have to stop anyone buying her any. Very difficult at times like mother's day, birthdays and xmas and she just canot understand why no-one buys her "those lovely boxes of Thorntons Chocolates".

I will have to tell her again next week that no-one bought her any, and then I forget;) to buy them when I go shopping.

Jenny:)

Snip

Mar 16, 2009
Hello All

My mum always loved chocolate and would take bars to bed many times a week, but I am afraid it now makes her very sick so I have had to stop her getting any. My name is mud when I say no to her getting a couple of bars but she is so ill, and usually in the middle of the night, that I have to stop anyone buying her any. Very difficult at times like mother's day, birthdays and xmas and she just canot understand why no-one buys her "those lovely boxes of Thorntons Chocolates".

I will have to tell her again next week that no-one bought her any, and then I forget;) to buy them when I go shopping.

I think some people find that white chocolate doesn't have that effect...have you ever tried that for her?:)

Snip

imac.girll1

Feb 20, 2009
Glasgow
Chocolate

A nice bar of fruit and nut is the order of the day for mum at the moment.
Chris

I wonder if there is anything in the fruit and nut thing that came from the advert! Not saying that this is the case for your mum, but is there in anything in the name to link with dementia!

:D

We all need chocolate, who cares about our mind state!

iMac:p

jenny48

Sep 19, 2008
Dear Snip

I must admit I haven't thought of the white chocolate I know mum never liked it as much as the plain or milk but maybe it would be worth trying.
Bag of white chocolate buttons on the list for this week;)
Thanks for the idea, I will let you know how we get on

Thanks again

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Interesting Margerita because he wasn;t allowed chocolate because of cholesterol problems but frankly who cares at this stage about cholesterol. makes you wonder about the simvastin thread earlier in the week!!!

I never read the thread about Simvastiin , so search for it read it . My mother been taking simvastin for years before mum was told she had a dementia it would be hard for me to know if that medication had an adverse effect on my mother, as my mother also has Type 2 diabetes.

but frankly who cares at this stage about cholesterol.

That true, I was told at respite nursing care home, mum would not stop wanting to eat the home made cup cakes they made. They tell her your diabetic, you cannot eat to many of the cap cakes . Mum says " I don't care I am going to live till I am 200 " :D

Must say I did try one they where yummy as they had almond in them on top of cap cake was fresh cream with Jam .

Also eating to much chocolate Just like your mother jenny, chocolate can make me feel Sick & vomit. so I have to eat chocolate in moderation .

May be your mother Just losing that control to eat chocolate in moderation.

Last edited: