Mixed Dementia

Discussion in 'End of life care' started by aeb11, Aug 20, 2019.

1. aeb11

aeb11 New member

Dec 1, 2017
    Hello Im new here and would like some advice please.
    My father is 86 he as Alzheimers and Vascular Dementia (mixed)
    He as had this for around 5 years , he had a mini stoke in 2018 and after
    his anger and mood swings got worse , we managed this and he is taking
    more tablets . He had another mini stoke in July then 10 days later another .
    He seems to have gone a little quite this time and not so angry , He isn't eating
    much dinners at all but likes sweet things , the doctor said this is normal . The MRI
    showed Left sided acute cortical infracts , and a Carotid Doppler showed a Right
    CCA fibrous plaque . He as been given 75mg of Aspirin to have each day .
    My concern is I'm afraid to travel far incase of another stroke , am I right to think this
    from the MRI results ? Im so scared I just don't know what to do for the best , my father
    is never left on his own no more , but the stress is making all the family so ill

2. Cat27

Cat27 Volunteer Moderator

Feb 27, 2015
    Merseyside
    Welcome to DTP @aeb11
    Unfortunately nobody know how fast or slow things will happen. I think you just have to do what feels best for you.
    I wish you strength to get through this.

3. Mouse2014

Mouse2014 Registered User

Mar 9, 2014
    I’m really sorry you and your Dad are going through this.My Mum also has a mixed dementia (Alz/Vascular Dementia) was diagnosed with this in 2008 at 81 .
    She too has had TIA’s regularly and a larger stroke in 2016 which left her unable to speak.
    She is now very frail and struggling,
    It’s been a long time and as mentioned, no-one can predict what’s going to happen, we’ve been in the position many times with holidays but you sadly can’t plan for the what if’s.
    I just hope you and your Dad can have lovely quality time while you can but you also need to be kind to yourself too. Lots of love x