Mixed dementia diagnosis

Defiance

Aug 17, 2022
Hi have recently been diagnosed with mixed dementia alzheimers and vascular dementia and I have been started on memantine. I was wondering how other members have found this medicine does it actually work. Thanks for your time.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Welcome @Defiance I`m so sorry about your diagnosis.

I have no experience of Memantine but have heard really positive comments about it. Hopefully those who do have experience will soon share their opinions.

Quite contrary

Jan 5, 2020
Ilford, Essex
Hi @Defiance
My husband has been on Memantine since he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 4 years ago. Very quickly, I noticed an improvement in some of his symptoms and four years on he is nowhere near as advanced as I expected him to be at this stage. It does not halt progression but in our case it certainly seems to have helped. Also, he has not had any adverse side effects.

Defiance

Aug 17, 2022
Hi @Defiance
My husband has been on Memantine since he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 4 years ago. Very quickly, I noticed an improvement in some of his symptoms and four years on he is nowhere near as advanced as I expected him to be at this stage. It does not halt progression but in our case it certainly seems to have helped. Also, he has not had any adverse side effects.
Thank you so much for your reply, I know everybody has different results but it sounds very promising. I hope your husband keeps with the same course.

kawarider

Aug 3, 2020
Hi @Defiance
MOH has also been on Memantine (for nearly 2 years). Recently I asked for help from the adult mental health unit due to muscle spasms and palsy type jerks. Long story sort. The consultant decided (without seeing MOH) to reduce the memantine to half the dose. I refused requesting a visit appointment. Community Nurse came out. Subsequently the consultant reiterated his decision. I complied, reluctantly. Over the next two to three weeks her condition deteriorated dramatically; Confidence evaporated. Toilet accidents, sobbing, complete melt downs whilst shopping, continual feeling cold, the jerks got worse and more frequent. I decided to increase the dosage again and contacted the unit as a very angry husband and carer. The consultant , during a telecon, agreed with my decision, and agreed to visit my wife at home. She is now regaining ground towards where she was, but I worry we'll never get back to where she was per dosage reduction. So yes, Memantine gives my wife many benefits. Plan B with the consultant is to increase her sertraline.

Wrendy

Feb 5, 2021
Leeds
Hi have recently been diagnosed with mixed dementia alzheimers and vascular dementia and I have been started on memantine. I was wondering how other members have found this medicine does it actually work. Thanks for your time.
My husband has mixed Dementia and been on MEMANTINE for 18months. Brilliant medication really slowed decline down. Was advised by consultant to take it at night. He sleeps much better and much brighter and alert during the day.
Hope this helps

Defiance

Aug 17, 2022
My husband has mixed Dementia and been on MEMANTINE for 18months. Brilliant medication really slowed decline down. Was advised by consultant to take it at night. He sleeps much better and much brighter and alert during the day.
Hope this helps
Thank you for your reply I am very pleased to hear that your husband is doing so well on memantine. Unfortunately I have had to drop from 20 mg a day to 10mg due to bad side affects. Could I ask you what strength your husband is on. Thank you.

Susanbell

Aug 17, 2022
Hello... I have recently been diagnosed with same... First time on site as well..

kawarider

Aug 3, 2020
Thank you for your reply I am very pleased to hear that your husband is doing so well on memantine. Unfortunately I have had to drop from 20 mg a day to 10mg due to bad side affects. Could I ask you what strength your husband is on. Thank you.
MOH was on 20mg before the consultant reduced it to 10mg. I raised it again and we are now, for over a year, back at 20mg. Just be sure the "side effects" are the memantine. Recently (due to difficulty swallowing), we've started on Liquid prescription.

SeaSwallow

Volunteer Moderator
Oct 28, 2019
MOH was on 20mg before the consultant reduced it to 10mg. I raised it again and we are now, for over a year, back at 20mg. Just be sure the "side effects" are the memantine. Recently (due to difficulty swallowing), we've started on Liquid prescription.
Hello @kawarider This thread is almost a year old now so you might not receive a reply to your post.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IBTC