Missing this, missing that..

Discussion in 'I care for a person with dementia' started by CWR, Nov 14, 2019.

1. CWR

CWR Registered User

Mar 17, 2019
    When mum went into respite, i had continual problems with items of clothing going missing.Eventually, I made an inventory of all the items she took with her so I could check them when she came home.Once she came home without her meds and I had to go to the chemist and wait for the methadone junkies to be served so I could collect her meds.
    The last time she came home from hospital, her lower set of dentures didnt and since she has lost weight, her upper set doesnt fit and so I had to go and buy Fixident. I get annoyed when we carers do what they can yet professionals lose items.It's just another thing. End of gripe.

2. karaokePete

karaokePete Registered User

Jul 23, 2017
    N Ireland
    It's ok to have a vent about these things as they shouldn't happen.

I hope that others who have experience of these situations will be along with some tips to avoid some of the issues. I know sew in name tags are one of the tips for clothing when Care Homes are involved as it's not unknown for residents to have a very fluid concept of ownership.

3. CWR

CWR Registered User

Mar 17, 2019
    What annoyed me was that I already did that, AND items still went astray. I'm concerned about mum's dentures since her appetite is so poor. I wonder if its related to her loss of dentures. It's just the way nurses say: thats how things are.

4. BryanG2001

BryanG2001 Registered User

Mar 2, 2014
    Can't help on stuff going missing, but on dentures is another story. Mum recently stopped putting in the dentures herself and wouldn't let anyone help, we are still getting used to the gummy smile and sunken in face, but it has transformed her diet. Now for breakfast she has a home made smoothy with full milk, Complan, about 4 different types of fruit, sometimes spinach, instant oats and Lactulose. Lunch is cheesy mash with some very soft meat or baked beans. Evening meal is another smoothy or blitzed vegetable soup. She is eating better than I am and seems to have stopped loosing weight.

5. Avis

Avis Registered User

Nov 2, 2019
    Your mother may not be using her dentures so that she doesn't have to chew food and swallow harder pieces. My husband chokes on anything that has texture and so he too eats a lot of mushy things. Your mum may not want people to know that she finds eating difficult as it is another thing that gets the professional poking about. Hubby would not let the speech therapist help him with swallowing exercises so it is just mash and mush.. I hope she is well otherwise.

6. jaymor

jaymor Volunteer Moderator

Jul 14, 2006
    Female
    England
    My husband was in nursing care for 4 years and things went missing, clothes belonging to others in his wardrobe as were his clothes somewhere else. All his clothes and belongings had his name on. Everything found it’s way back eventually. In our house my husband’s and son’s clothes got mixed up, they were same height, same weight so boxers, socks and tee shirts were easily put into the wrong persons drawer.

With respite being for a short time it must be very difficult to get missing things back to where they belong in time. Give the Manager a list of the lost items and telephone or pop in as often as you can to see if they have turned up.