Missing Talking Point

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hi Again,

I have just returned after being without my internet for nearly two weeks, and I could not beleive how much damage that would do to my system. (I had withdrawal syptoms because I could not use my beloved Talking Point).

We lost our internet and today after after two weeks, my wife had got sick of the sight of me skulking around the house, rang up the supplier and gave them a peice of her mind(Bless Her).
I had tried before on numerous occassions, but I find it difficult to understand strong foriegn accents. But today it was dear old Janice who decided that enough was enough. Its strange we always start off in India, then come over to Holland and then if we are extremely (lucky) we get to speak to an "English" yes English Enginneer who can reconnect us somewhere in London.
Today it was very different. We started off in South Africa and then went to India before things stared to work. Janice has taken to asking where they are because like me she can not understand why all this work has gone abroad.
But it was only after she threatened to leave our beloved company and go elsewhere, that they did anything.
I use the internet quite a lot at night because with Lewy Bodies, I get horrendous nightmares in the early night, so I have started to stay up till around 1 Am, which usually means I miss the time when these things occure. But during the last two weeks after watching repeats of railway journey CDs, I started to go to bed early, but I was keeping someone else awake with my tossing and turning, because I could not get to sleep.
I never realised that a simple change in routine could cause so much distruction to a person who has Dementia.
Perhaps there is a lesson there somewhere. I suppose we all try to do the same thing each day so that we do not forget to do something, but if something is missing it throws us out of gear.

Best Wishes

Ken

Last edited:

jenniferpa

Jun 27, 2006
Hi Ken and welcome back. I was wondering where you had got to. 3 cheers for Janice for getting your internet back on: I get withdrawal symptoms if I can't get on for day, let alone 2 weeks. :D

Love

Nell

Aug 9, 2005
Australia
Dear Ken,
So nice to have you back. Congratulations to Janice on getting the 'net back on for you both.

We have the same sorts of problems with outsourcing to overseas here in Australia. For months we were plagued with calls from Indian call centres, always trying to sell us something.

We registered with "do not call" or whatever its name is, but it made no difference. Then suddenly we didn't get any phone calls, and haven't had any for months now!! My hubby says they've turned the page of the phone book!! :)

It must be incredibly distressing to find that things you once took in your stride are now so much harder to cope with. You have amazing insight into your condition (very rare I think) and so it is very helpful for us as Carers when you tell us how it is from your side. This is something I think most of us as Carers spend many hours wondering about and worrying about.

So thank you so much for telling us directly how it is. Your contribution is invaluable.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Ken,

I`m so pleased you got your Internet back, and well done Janice for not giving up.

This morning I found out how you must have felt. I logged in, read a few posts and then Blank, the screen went black, no light on, my computer had cut off.

The feeling was awful. What to do? Do I use the library? The last time I got a `man` in, he was great, but I had to wait 2 weeks.

I switched off at the mains, waited 10 minutes and tried again. Relief it came on again.

Just a `blip`. :)

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Ken and Sylvia,

I really wouldn't want to be without either of you here on TP, so....Phew!

Grannie G said:
waited 10 minutes
the power supply for a PC sometimes gets an overload - often at startup - and the power supply box then shuts down, and will not power on again for a while.

Usually, as you have found, the next time it comes on all is well.

It is very worrying at the time though! Good excuse for that extra cuppa.
KenC said:
We started off in South Africa and then went to India
I often wonder if I have been assigned my own butler.

The problem is that he lives in Delhi.

If I have problems with Dell, I am sent to Dell-hi, to someone who knows far less than I do about their PCs but they have to go through long tedious scripts in great English, but in an accent I can't decipher - before they agree with my original diagnosis.

I mistakenly recommended them to a friend of 85, who one day spent nearly 4 hours talking to Dell-hi which insisted they had a software problem when the problem was actually a dead printer. The lady was charged £35 for the privilege of talking so long - which I got refunded to her, but I guess the phone call, at national rate, to an 0870 number still made the company a tidy profit on a pointless call.

Tiscali gives me the same Delhi based butler, as does Symantec for my anti virus software.

It is infuriating....:mad:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
We can only blame Market Forces.
The greedy companies we use are only interested in increased profit for their shareholders. They benefit from cheap labour but never pass the benefit on to the consumer.

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
The problem is that as an engineer I could cope with most things which are now very difficult and that is hard to cope with when it happens.
But when you are faced with problems like this, and you get desperate because no one seems to take any notice, what on earth do you do.
This all started when I wanted a wireless modem so that I did not get into trouble for hogging the computer, as someone else has become a member of Talking Point.
But the Wireless Modem died so we got another, which would not work. I suggested that we got an engineer in to look at it. From here all hell broke out.
The engineer could not connect to the network, so he rang our internet supplier and was told that there was nothing wrong with the system.
After explaining that he was actualy a network engineer who knew who to fit modems, and did not need a pen pusher to tell him fibs, there was a rush to pass him to the next line assessor.
In the end we were told that there was a problem with the modem, at which point he replied rubbish.
We then got told that there was indeed a fault with the line but it would take 5 - 10 days to repair. At this point he asked if the problem was in England or India, but got no answer.
But things went from bad to worse, because Janice rang to find why we were not back on line after that time, only to be told that there was nothing wrong again.
It is strange that as far as they are concerned nothing matters until that is someone says the magic words(can I have a migration code so that we can move to another supplier) then everyone jumps into gear.

I said last night that if this goes one any longer we will be on personal terms with the Indian and South african engineers.

Sad is'nt it if the Internet goes off its like loosing an old friend.

Best Wishes

Ken

christine_batch

Jul 31, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Admiration for You

Dear Ken,
Welcome back to T.P. I have enjoyed reading your previous threads.You do seem to have a sense of humour. I to have problems with the overseas call centres" and I have threatened to change suppliers and low and behold the problem is soon fixed. My youngest daughter is an I.T. Support Worker and my son has his own I.T. business, the funny thing is that at the ages of 3 years approx. I was teaching them how to use computers. Then I went about 10 years without one until my husband was diagnoised 4 years ago and I wanted to do research. Also comes in handy typing Alzheimer's Branch Minutes. When I have had any problems, I have to contact my daughter who lives about 5 minutes away and I feel stupid. Don,t worry says Fleur, you taught us in the first place. the only difference it is now so complex I am completely lost at times. Wishing you the very best. Christine

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Today this farce took a different turn, when I was telephoned by a second Line support Engineer from our internet supply company, who asked about my internet problems. This was a great surprise, as I had been back on line since Sunday afternoon(obviously someone had forgotten to pass the message down the line, or they know something that I don't).
This time the Engineer who this time was Scottish spent a good 15 mins discussing everything that had happened over the last few weeks.
I was then given the assurance that all would be tested and checked over the next 48 hours, and should be corrected before I disappear to Paignton on holiday, leaving our son in charge of the house and Computer.
The problem being that I do not know what to expext when I return, will the internet still work or not.

These things are sent to try us and that they do.

Best Wishes

Ken

Last edited:

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
KenC said:
This time the Engineer who this time was Scottish spent a good 15 mins discussing everything that had happened over the last few weeks.

We Scots are so sympathetic and considerate!:D

Seriously, I do hope you don't lose your connection again, we need you as much as you need us.

(We're efficient, too -- and not a bit big-headed!:D )

Love,

KenC

Mar 24, 2006
Co Durham
Hello Again,
Your very modest up in the West Coast are you not.
Just joking.

Yes I hope I do not loose the connection again, but we will just have to wait and hope.

Its like everything else these days, you don't really miss it until you can not get it.
Perhaps I will have to move up to Scotland.

Best Wishes

Ken

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger