Missing money

clsea1

Aug 17, 2015
Hi

This probably has been covered before but I am new to this group.

My mum was diagnosed with Alzheimers in 2013, she is on Donezipil 10mg once a day.

This seemed to stablilse her and didnt seem to get any worse until 3 wks ago she had a fall in the street and was in hospital for 3 days. She was found to have a water infection which made the confusion 10 times worse. Since she has been home she now has two carers come in daily to help with medication and washing etc due to a broken hand. The problem now is her pension money over the last two weeks about £150 has gone missing from her purse. I do not suspect the carers but am not sure what to do. I have suggested to her that I keep some of the money back but she got annoyed and said dont treat me like a child.

On the matter of Donezipil has anyone found that it doesnt work after a few years (this is what the consultant told me )?

This may seem a trivial matter after reading some of the posts and I apologise for this
but it is only just occuring to me what lies in store for me and my mum.

Carol

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
Alzheimer's is a degenerative disease, with or without medication. Don't worry about the Donepezil, just let her continue taking it.

As for the missing money, people with dementia put things in all sorts of strange places, presumably to hide them, then forget where. The fact she is doing it now suggests to me she is no longer able to deal with money. Have you got LPA? I wouldn't try to talk to her about it as that will solve nothing. Just maybe try to protect the money by putting some of it in a safe place. There is no reason she should need all her pension money in cash!

I think this link might be useful for you: http://forum.alzheimers.org.uk/show...ionate-Communication-with-the-Memory-Impaired

Shedrech

Dec 15, 2012
UK
Hi clsea1
Good to see your first post - I guess you've been reading around the forum, I hope you're finding it as helpful as I do
A UTI in itself can reek havoc, that and a fall and hospital visit; all designed to really affect a person with dementia - your poor mum - great that you've got carers coming in; make the most of the care package and have as much as is possible to support you both - I hope they sent out an OT to check out the house to see if there's anything that will help her; and a physio to check her over
Beate is right - unfortunately money can be 'put somewhere safe' and forgotten about - does your mum have any places she puts things that are valuable to her? - but it could be anywhere
Maybe just mention this to the carers - to let them know things are being hidden, you never know they may have noticed something
If you can help her with her finances 'on the quiet', give it a go - to set your mind at rest - if you have POAs then she has signalled her agreement to you helping her, despite what she may be saying - I'm afraid sometimes we have to be a bit underhand

Nothing is trivial if it is bothering either of you - it's good to be prepared, but do take each day at a time and make the most of it - who knows what the future holds for any of us - sorry, that sounds trite
Do post again
Best wishes

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
If you think your mum is hiding money (very common) do be careful if you can to check absolutely everything that could possibly serve as a 'container' before it goes in the bin. In that I include newspapers and magazines - a colleague of mine found over £2000 stashed inside or in between newspapers and magazines in an old uncle's flat after he died.

clsea1

Aug 17, 2015
Thank you all for your advice and Beate thanks for the link.

I have started to do some of those things already

Carol

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968