Missing in Battle Sussex

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
An appeal for information about John has been made again on BBC Radio Kent, on the 11 o`clock news.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Brilliant! Thanks very much BeadieJay and Sylvia. Welll done. Looks like the wall is cracking!
I have PM'd Ann yesterday about Radio 4 ( Saturday Live) who want to interview someone from the family, and the AS press office may pick up on things next week, they say. Onwards and upwards!

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
cannuck said:
If they need a contact in the UK, I would like to give them Ann's or Deborah's if at all possible. Louise in Canada
Louise I'm flattered that you thought of me but think I'd rather let Ann deal with this, or someone else from the family. I don't think I could cope with the responsibility at the moment. Thanks anyway, and well done for all your work sending the flyer out. Love Deborah x

Tamariu

Jul 28, 2007
Winchester
Margarita - thanks for contacting the Big Issue. I hope that they can go with the story.

Deborah - just to put your mind at rest, my Mum has agreed to be the contact for the missing persons helpline that Louise contacted. On the candle lighting - it's to be held at John's mother's church in Shaftesbury (St Peter's). Mum has arranged for a friend to take some photos and the local paper has said that they will see what they can do with it. I'm also just about to suggest that she sends the photos to the local Sussex papers to give them another reason to run the story. It's good news that Radio4 are looking at running the story too.

alfjess and everyone else who is putting up the poster - many, many thanks.

Granny G & BeadieJay - thanks for the news about the news. It's great to see the publicity rolling.

I've still had little response from my mailshot on Monday. But I did get a suggestion from onerailway to contact the British Transport Police as " they have good experience in such situations and if they feel appropriate, would be able to liaise with us regarding any action they feel is needed." Mum will be calling them today and I'll let you know what they say.

Linda - many thanks for posting to this board initially. The response has been phenomenal!

That's all for now.

Ann

said

Jul 4, 2006
London
New story on the Alzheimer's Society website

Hi everyone

Website

Just to say we have added a news story about John's disappearance to the Alzheimer's Society website. Although I can't guarantee it will stay on the home page, it is now. We have also included Bruce's PDF poster and a link to this thread on Talking Point.

If you want to refer people to this page in an email please use the shorter version of the link

http://tinyurl.com/223kgr

Press Office

A combination of the High Court judgement and the Malcolm and Barbara documentary has meant that our press team are really under it this week.

They have promised to see what they can do next week when it all calms down.

Hope John gets found soon.

Said
(Website Manager)

Tamariu

Jul 28, 2007
Winchester
Said, that's wonderful ... thank you! Every time I get down about John I log onto this forum and see that someone else has done something else to help us! Your energy and support are incredible.

Ann

sue38

Mar 6, 2007
Wigan, Lancs
I am stunned by the people on this site and their ingenuity and determination to help in the search for John and have felt totally helpless to contribute in a constructive way.

However I am hoping to do a car boot sale on Sunday (weather permittting) to raise funds for my trip to the Sahara in support of the AS. I am going all out with AS t-shirts, balloons and collection boxes. Although I am at the other end of the country from Battle I will print out as many of the missing posters as possible and hand them out to anyone who passes.

I just hope that the more people we reach, the better the chance of finding John safe.

Much love,

strawberrywhip

Jun 26, 2006
kent
Ann
Thinking of you and your family. Will pass the poster on to our local hospital ..have the local hospitals A&E departments been alerted?

Tamariu

Jul 28, 2007
Winchester
strawberrywhip said:
Ann
Thinking of you and your family. Will pass the poster on to our local hospital ..have the local hospitals A&E departments been alerted?

I'm sure that the local hospitals would have been alerted by the police as part of their initial search for John.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Saturdya Live

Hello Ann, did you get the contact details I sent about Saturday Live? I'm fretting your message box may be full as I haven't heard. Sorry.

cannuck

Aug 5, 2007
Canada
Postings North

Hello. John's poster has gone farther north and is being distributed also in Gloucester area. Not sure where that is, but it came through a contact of my father's who has businesses and groups up there.

Several people I know have forwarded it to family and friends, and businesses in the UK so it's distribution is getting wider and wider thanks to everyone.

Love Louise

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I did not get email back from the big issue .

so was taking to a vender and brought the big issue .

they is a part about missing people , but it come from this organization

http://www.missingpeople.org.uk/friendsfamily/how-we-can-find-missing-people/

the vender said that at the main office they have photo of all missing people that they are ask to keep an eye out in london , so I ask if he would put a poster up of john .

he said that he can't do that as it has to come from the organization that send it to them big issue offices in london .

So I was wondering if John family has been in contact with this organization already or not ........... look really good , the link is above

Last edited:

Tamariu

Jul 28, 2007
Winchester
Wow! Once again, so many positive things :)

Said, thanks for arranging for the epilepsy website to take this on board too. It's sad that I had no idea that John had epilepsy until I read it in the newspaper. It was such a taboo subject when he was diagnosed (a while ago now, of course) that my Mum was sworn to secrecy and couldn't even tell her children :(

Louise - thanks for making contacts across the ocean to get the poster into Gloucestershire. I'm going there myself next week and will look out for them!

Margarita - we have registered John's disappearance with the website you mentioned. Mum is doing the necessary paperwork and I'll let you know how that develops.

News on my side - as we speak, my Mum is driving to Sussex to do an interview with BBC South East. She will be recorded tomorrow at 11am, so I presume the item will be broadcast on the local evening news. If anyone is in Sussex, let me know how it went :)

Also, my kids and I spent this afternoon trecking around Winchester finding places to put up posters. We had some lovely encounters with some very understanding people. One man, who just happened to overhear my request to have the poster displayed in the local shopping centre, came up to me and asked me if I had another copy of the poster. I gave him one and he told me that he was going to put it in the back of his car. I thought this was a great idea so thought I'd share it with you.

Finally, I PMed Deborah a couple of days ago about some of the work she's been doing. She asked me to copy part of that PM to the board so that everyone becomes aware how much everything we do helps.

Hi Deborah,

I find it amazing that people we have never met are putting so much effort into helping locate John. Every person who spreads the word increases the chances either of finding him or of finding someone with knowledge in a particular area who can help us.

Yesterday a friend of Clare (John's daughter) was in London putting up posters. By pure chance she met a man who spent last Christmas looking for his wife who had Alzheimers and had gone missing. Unfortunately they found his wife too late, but during the hunt he got to know various homeless people and people in his area in charge of missing persons. It turns out that his wife was also from Battle, and he is now helping in the hunt for John.

It's another example of how the effects of publicising John's disappearance ripple out.

Thanks!

Ann

Thanks again for all your help and support!

Ann

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
Hope the interview went well Ann and that lots of publicity is generated from it.

I too am overwhelmed at the response from both the forums I am involved with ,it is lovely to know so many people do care.

Linda x

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Interview on BBC South East

The interview has been posted on the BBC South East website. Click on the link here, below to go the BBC South East webpage. The interview is listed under 'Top Stories' on the right hand side of the page as 'Family's search for missing pensioner' It's worth watching the whole programme (Click on 'Watch latest edition in full') as the announcer adds an introduction not seen with the clip on its own. http://www.bbc.co.uk/southeasttoday/

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Can anyone in the family tell me if John had medication with him when he left home?

I obviously don`t know whether or not he takes medication for Alzheimers, but I would expect him to be on medication for his epilepsy.

Sorry if this is intrusive, but it worries me.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dorarosa