Missing in Battle Sussex

Gill W

Jan 31, 2007
Co. Durham
How my heart aches reading this thread.

I sincerely hope that John is found safe and well, he is added to our list of prayers every night.

My Gran has been 'wandering' for quite some time now, and I just know how ones stomach drops when you pick the phone up and you have someone on the other end stating 'this is Northumbria Police....'. Thankfully God has been kind to Gran and has got her home again each and every time again, but I do know of cases where this hasn't happened.

Passing on details of John to friends in your area, and a little further afield.

Hoping and praying for a positive end to your anguish.

Gill
xx

Skye

Aug 29, 2006
SW Scotland
I've just opened it, Maggie. It's a Word file, so perhaps that's why it won't open on your eMac.

Ann, the poster is very clear. I do hope you get some news soon.

There's not much I can do up here, but I'm praying for you all too.

Love,

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
I think its a good idea about doing a national appeal , because who knows, he could of been pick up put in any EMI dementia unit within a hospital in England with no ID

Last edited:

Cate

Jul 2, 2006
Newport, Gwent
Hi Tamariu

I am so sorry that there is still no news. I found this site on the Net, it may be worth contacting them to see if you can have John included. www.missingpeople.org.uk

You may have already thought of this avenue, in my area the Salvation Army are a good point of contact as is local churches. Many run soup kitchens for the homeless, they may be willing to ask around during their nightly visits to see if John has been spotted.

Praying for his safe return.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Hello Ann, I'm afraid I only wrote to the Guardian contact as I've lost her email address. She won't get the bumf until Tuesday, assuming she's not on holiday. However I have also contacted a mate who works as a sub on the Mirror, a former tutor who freelances for The Independent, another contact who freelances for The Observer, some editors of local papers in Worthing, Brighton, Chichester and Bognor, journalists for BBC Southern Counties Radio, BBC South TV, Meridian TV, ITV, a mate who is a journalist on The Telegraph ( lamentably only a mere sports commentator but asked him to forward the email to someone more sensible), a couple of other south coast radio stations ( Spirit FM and Splash FM).
Also sent info to a friend who lives in Chester because I see that John has links there. And a few other people on the offchance.
To be honest if the story doesn't get national coverage it will be a b.....y disgrace. I'll have a think about what else I can do.

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Oh and I sent an email to BBC Radio 4 'Saturday Live' this morning. They were publicising the fact that someone had picked up a missing SIM card on a beach in this morning's programme with wedding photos on it. They published a picture of a dog from the SIM card onto the BBC website. Lovely as dogs and weddings are, I couldn't help thinking publicising a missing person would be a better use of air time, so I sent off the stuff, but I expect it's lost in a void somewhere.

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
I have emailed the police pressline to Paul Miller and Richard Spendlove. Both have widely listened to programmes on Radio Kent.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
BeadieJay said:
It was the Paul Miller programme that I heard the news report on. I'm sure he'll mention it again.

Hi Beadiejay, I must have missed it.

I think I remember Richard Spendlove saying his father had Alzheimers. I feel those with direct experience are much more understanding of it.

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
I am so glad I started this thread I only wish John had turned up by now.

Keeping you all close in thought.

Linda x

cannuck

Aug 5, 2007
Canada
Louise

Hello,

Thank you Ann for forwarding this site to me. The well wishes and prayers offered here are of great comfort to me as I am feeling so far away and helpless to physically help. For those on the board, I am also John Allen's neice(on his wife's side), living in Canada.

I am so very grateful to everyone over there,as is all the family across the sea.
I only wish that we could have gone national sooner as it may have improved our chances, but I suppose there is Police protocol to follow.
God Bless all of you who have shared your experiences with your family members.
Wandering behaviour is different with each person, and it is frightening to say the least when you are faced with the daunting task of 'watching continuously' your loved one to keep them safe. This website is such a blessing as I can see that it provides comfort and release for those who are struggling everyday.

I have experience with Alzheimer's, all stages of Dementia, and many "brain" issues, and it is a devastating thing to cope with when wandering behaviour is accompanied by agitation. It almost becomes manditory that at that point the fitting of alarm or tracing devices be put in place and I know that here in Canada,
we have something called a Wanderguard anklet or bracelet attached which sets off an alarm when the individual leaves the premises or a perimetered area. It is not fullproof, but it is a help. Some families have their dogs professionally trained to alert the caregiver when the person has left the house, follow the person, and are themselves fitted with devices.

Again, I am thankful to all of you for your input, and wish you well in your particular situations.

Sometimes I think the simpliest answers can be found when we think creatively and with love in our hearts...

Louise

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
Some families have their dogs professionally trained to alert the caregiver when the person has left the house, follow the person, and are themselves fitted with devices.

what a good idea .

just like to say welcome to TP Louise

I'm still hoping for a national appeal , can't see why Police protocol could get in the way, as john is a venerable person .

I Wonder if the press office of the Alzheimer's Society can be approached to ask for national appeal on TV on behalf of john family

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
also was wondering if the family could ask the police to approach the big issue magazine to put a photo of John in it

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
The Big Issue

Good idea Margarita, it might be quicker if we did it ourselves. The Big Issue's address is 1-5 Wandsworth Road London SW8 2LN , telephone 0207 526 3200 www.bigissue.com Editor is John Bird. Any TP-er willing to give them a ring tomorrow?

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Comparing papers

I rang all the daily (English) nationals this morning, spoke about John and asked for their newsdesk email address so that I could send the press release and article from the Hastings Observer etc. Only one paper actually refused to give me the newsdesk address, on the grounds that 'hundreds of people go missing every day'. Shame on The Sun.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Deborah,

Deepest respect for all you are trying to do to help John and his family. You have so much `get up and go`, it has to be commended.

Love xx