Missing in Battle Sussex

lovdn2

Jul 24, 2007
Dear Ann

Thinking of you all, we "lost" mum for a couple of hours once.........a truly horrible feeling, I can't begin to imagine what it must be like for you all.

I hope your uncle is safe and warm somewhere and you get good news very soon.

My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

xx

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Dear Ann, so sorry to read this about your uncle going missing. I very much hope and pray that he is found soon and is safe and well. Thinking of you all and sending kindest regards. Deborah

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
mISSING PERSON

I am now frightened to death. My mum is in hospital having been found wandering outside in the night. We have just found a suitable care home for her but it is not secure in the day. She can come and go as she pleases. We are praying that she won't go out without an attendant - am I taking too big a risk? Her wanderings in the night were specific, she was on her way to somewhere she thought she should be, but at the wrong time of day. In the new home, she probably won't have anywhere that she needs to go. Oh pray for me! I am now so scared.

Margaret

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
For prevention .

I did read that a woman has invented a tracker system , for people with dementia and young children a little box that can be put in the pocket and you can track them on your computer .

Must come under technical assistant.

When my father died we took mum to his grave , with one thing and another I turn around and mum was gone , we could not find her till we flag down a police man in his car , who went looking for her found her , I never forget police man , because he had lovely sea blue eyes & mum ask if he was married :) .

I check that site that bruce left , it says he may be in London . they a photo of him.

last post is 28 July and they still have not found him :( . I shall be looking out for him :)

PS Ann

Just seen your post

Last edited:

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Margaret W said:
My mum is in hospital having been found wandering outside in the night. We have just found a suitable care home for her but it is not secure in the day.
Margaret
Dear Margaret.

Did the home ask if your mother wanders? That was the first question my first choice of home asked me, and refused her a place because of her wandering. They were unable to guarantee her safety.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Preventing wandering

Regarding being able to prevent wandering, it's a very difficult thing. My mother's first retirement home had a code on the door. Even so, my mother managed to walk out because at that time she looked too young to be a resident. So some visitor must have let her out or she simply hung around the door until someone entered or left.

This wouldn't have been so bad if she hadn't taken her 84 year old roommate with her, who wasn't dressed for the -25° weather (my mother was - she was in her "escape" mode). I arrived 5 or 10 minutes later & couldn't find Mum. The staff went into overdrive and everything turned out well in the end.

My long-winded story is to point out that even with all the possible precautions, things can go horribly wrong. We can only do our best.

Tamariu

Jul 28, 2007
Winchester
Apologies to those of you who are waiting for news. I haven't posted anything on the board for a couple of days, basically because there's nothing to post. There have been no new developments in the hunt for John and I have no information on what the next steps are likely to be.

I think we're getting to the stage of being resigned to the fact that he may be missing for some time to come. I will update the board as often as seems appropriate ... and, of course, as soon as there is any good news.

Linda Mc

Jul 3, 2005
Nr Mold
Thanks Ann for your messages on both forums.

I just wish the news was more positive for you all.

Thinking and praying for you and all the family.

Linda x

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
A thought

It would be good if we could get as much publicity about John Allen as for other missing people. I wonder what else we could do. Maybe if people copied and pasted the Hastings Observer article link (above) and sent it out to all their email contacts? I'll try that tonight.

Last edited:

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
'Missing' poster?

Ann, is there a 'missing' poster about John in an emailable form that Tp-ers could email out and about and maybe print off? Deborah

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Update

Hello Ann, I sent out an email with the Hastings Observer link on July 31st to a group of contacts here and there. So far only one response, from a friend who works within the NHS mental health services in West Sussex. He is going to circulate the information about John to his colleagues. Any news on the poster/flyer? Deborah

Tamariu

Jul 28, 2007
Winchester
A quick update on the poster ... Mum has contacted the Sussex police and asked them if it's possible for them to email us a copy of their Missing poster. We're waiting to see if they can send that to us. If not, we'll put something together ourselves and send it out. Ann

DeborahBlythe

Dec 1, 2006
Just for information. I've sent out another batch of emails to (different) contacts today and have written a letter to a Guardian journalist I've had some dealings with, copying the Hastings Observer article and police press release.

Tamariu

Jul 28, 2007
Winchester
Hi,

We still haven't heard from the Sussex police about their Missing poster, so I have put together one myself. It shows a picture of John wearing the jacket he was wearing when he disappeared and the description of him from the initial police press release. I have uploaded it to http://www.4shared.com/dir/3454104/f749c401/sharing.html. I haven't used this file sharing site before, so please do let me know if you have problems with it.

Deborah, many thanks for the initial idea of the poster and also for speaking with your journalist contact. It really boosts the family to hear when other people help to spread the word.

BeadieJay, thanks for the news on the radio broadcast. It's encouraging to hear that the news is spreading further.

We spoke to John's daughter this morning and she tells us that the police are considering to have one final push on the media front. This time they are looking at making a national appeal. I don't know yet what will happen and when, but will let you know what I hear as soon as I do.

Thanks again to all who are thinking of us.

Ann

Margarita

Feb 17, 2006
london
i did mange to open file on my PC

But I Got this and no photo

Mr Allen, 70, has gone missing from his home in Battle. Mr Allen, who suffers from Alzheimer’s as well as epilepsy, was last seen at 9pm on Wednesday, July 18th.

He is white, approx 5' 6" tall and of a medium build. He has short black/grey hair and is balding around the crown. He has a full grey and white beard.

He was last seen wearing a Harris tweed jacket, a grey/brown jumper, brown cord trousers and brown slip on shoes.

Anyone who may have seen or been in contact with Mr Allen or a man fitting his description is urged to contact police on 0845 60 70 999 quoting serial number 1677 19/07/07.

maybe its just my eMac , has anyone try opening it