Miss Tracy

tracy66

Sep 16, 2019
My father is 93 and he has Alzheimer's and Vascular Dementia. He lives in a council house and has carers 4 times a day. He pays for this service. Myself and my sister work 4 days a week. We try the best to fill in the gaps.
We worry because dad has little savings and if his condition becomes worse in the future how can we afford to place him in a nursing home.
We carry on for now.

Beate

May 21, 2014
London
If your father has under £14,250, he shouldn't be paying for these carer visits, and between that and £23,250 only a share of it. You urgently need to get him a needs assessment and a financial one as well - care home costs will be taken over to an extent by the council, and your father is allowed to keep some money.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @tracy66 you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done. There is also a Dementia Guide in the list.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

rainbowcat

Oct 14, 2015
If your father has under £14,250, he shouldn't be paying for these carer visits, and between that and £23,250 only a share of it. You urgently need to get him a needs assessment and a financial one as well - care home costs will be taken over to an extent by the council, and your father is allowed to keep some money.

My father has less than £9k in savings, but he has to pay a sizeable chunk from his private pension (the majority of it) every month for 3 x day care visits. So it all depends on income as well as savings.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan