mislaid copy of POA?

mandywr

Feb 20, 2020
My husband and I have each registered POA (for each other). I cannot now find the original copies. Do I need to do it again, or can I use the copies I have on the computer when/if I need to invoke it. My husband is showing early signs of demantia

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Hi @mandywr, welcome to the forum. In my experience most (financial institutions) require sight of the originals or a certified copy (if it was done via a Solicitor), If you used a Solicitor they will be able to provide certified copies. I would start registering sooner rather than later - I left it quite late with my Mum and it caused me a few difficulties with the bank etc. All the best.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Does a solicitor have the original registered powers?

The copies on the registered powers on the computer are no use.
You could each self certify your own although some institution refuse to accept self certified copies.

You could claim exceptional circumstances and purchase office copies from the OPG

"Office copy/certified copy – official copies that are only supplied in exceptional cases"

https://assets.publishing.service.g...orney-and-enduring-power-of-attorney-fees.pdf .

They will probably be validated copies with 'validated' pierced across the bottom. I had these when you could order 2 FOC and use instead of getting certified copies. It took a lot of convincing people they were valid.

Pete1

Jul 16, 2019
Does a solicitor have the original registered powers?

We did this when the our originals were 'lost' (although they charged for it) - guess what, I found them several years later, secreted away.