mirtazepine - any good?

longacre

Feb 17, 2008
London
My mother is in a care home with mixed vascular dementia / alzheimers. She has been on Aricept for almost five years now and recently had been very tearful and miserable, as well as much more muddled, agitated and aggressive than usual. I had asked for a medical re-assessment of her drugs etc to see if they needed tweaking, as I wasnt sure if it was this, or just the next stage of the 'journey'.

They have just told me that following the assessment she has just been put on mirtazepine, which is an anti-depressant. Apparently it takes about two weeks to work its way properly into the system so we may not see the effects for a while. I have looked it up online but also wondered whether anyone here has any knowledge first hand of the benefits (or otherwise!) on their relatives?

Any info much appreciated. Thanks.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello longacre

It helped my husband a little, didn`t solve all his troubles but I suppose it did help. I don`t think any of these tablets work miracles and as everyone is different it`s not easy to compare.

I hope it helps your mother.

Wirralson

Account Closed
May 30, 2012
Mirtazepine

I cannot comment on it for relatives with dementia, but I found it helpful for my own resistant depression if that is any help. It is apparently regarded as useful in treating resistant depression.

Wirralson

Last edited:

rajahh

Aug 29, 2008
Hertfordshire
My husband was on it for a while during a long hospital stay but it was mainly given as one of the side effects is an appetite enhancer.

My husband was never depressed as such and I did not notice any change in his mood. I just noticed that he started to eat again, and put back the weight he had lost.

Jeannette

longacre

Feb 17, 2008
London
Thanks very much everyone. I appreciated the feedback. If it helps her put on weight by increasing her appetite that would be a good thing. I will watch out for the drowsiness as well.