Mirtazapine

zan

Jan 4, 2006
staffordshire
Just wondering if any one has experience of the antidepressant Mirtazapine. Dad has recently started on 30 mg daily. It says it can cause drowsiness at first but Dad is sleeping about 22 hours a day. I know it could be his other illness but wondered if anyone had had this problem when taking the drug. If so, does it ease after the first few weeks? I'm going to contact his Cpn after the weekend but thought I'd try here first. Zan

suem

Jul 1, 2005
Worcestershire
Hi Zan

My husband is on the same dose, has been on it for about 3 months. He does'nt sleep as long as your Dad. Normal night's sleep. But I have to say that before he took this he was a terrible sleeper, even before he was ill he would sleep a few hours and that was with the help of sleeping tablets. So they must induce sleep. Now he rarely takes sleeping tablets. Perhaps try half the dose and see what that does.

zan

Jan 4, 2006
staffordshire
Thanks Suem, Dad was very sleepy till 4pm today . I've tried giving him his medication earlier to see if it wears off earlier but will try the cpn tomorrow about reducing the dose. Zan

barraf

Mar 27, 2004
Huddersfield
Hello Zan

I had this problem with Margaret except she was taking Olanzapine. She started on it a few days before she had the stroke so I didn't know what was causing it the stroke or the medication.

As she is much calmer since the stroke I have stopped the medication altogesther. She is still sleepy but not as bad as she was.

Try stopping the medication and see if your dad improves, you can always start again if his other symtoms return.

I find there is a lot of trial and error about medication for Alheimer's sufferers, and you have to find the system of taking it that best suits the patient.

Good luck
Barraf

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
old ginger