Mini WiFi camera

AliceA

May 27, 2016
@AliceA

In the past I had free at home eye tests for both my mother and my husband. I think that Boots and Vision Express also offer this service. They brought all the test equipment with them and a range of frames to choose from.

I may enquire as to whether I can be checked at same time, we have a very caring optician though I would be sorry not to keep him but needs must I suppose.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
I may enquire as to whether I can be checked at same time, we have a very caring optician though I would be sorry not to keep him but needs must I suppose.
You could ask him whether he provides this service. Some private opticians will do this, although they often do not advertise it.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
@nitram might have some thoughts although I don't think he is familiar with smartphones

The system has two basic requirements
  • The camera can upload to the web
  • The mobile can download from the web
As it all works reliably in some situations but not in others it appears that the upload is OK
The download can be either via the mobile network or WiFi.
Mobile requires a strong enough signal.
WiFi also requires a strong signal without restrictions, Pret may have blocked streaming.
In places where it does not work can you watch utube?

My personal concern would be security
https://learncctv.com/how-to-hack-cctv-camera/

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Way, way to technical for me Nitram. I’ll just keep changing the password when I use it. I am rarely out further than the paper shop without John but accidents do happen and I want to be able to see that he is still sitting where I left him.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
You can check if the problem in Pret is them blocking streaming, does utube work?

An easy way to lessen the chance of being hacked is to switch the camera off when you are with John, I realise this is an inconvenience, convenience and security are always at opposite ends of a very wide spectrum.

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
Hi @marionq

As @nitram has said, there are 2 parts to the process of viewing what is on the camera

The first is getting it from the camera to your router (the box from Sky / Virgin / Talk talk etc.) As you have been able to view it in your phone & iPad, that part is working fine

The second part is getting the image onto your phone or iPad. This is either over WiFi or using your data. This will depend on your signal strength not on distance. I watched a camera feed from 20 miles away while sitting in a farmers field (brother was fishing :rolleyes:), I was picking him up

Personally, I took on a phone contract with lots of data & then turned off WiFi when I was out the house & used 4G, which you have.

(In case you don’t know how to turn it off & on ..
Go to Settings
Wi-Fi
Slide the top button to off

Slide top button to on when you get back home, your phone will pick up the signal automatically)

I used my phone data rather than WiFi as I found it tended to be a stronger signal & worked 99% of the time :D

Hope that helps :)

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
My mum also unplugs things, even moving the fridge freezer to get to the socket behind it! We have fitted a number of boxes that go over sockets and the plugs so that the TV, fridge, clock and call blocker are all hidden from her. She doesn't seem bothered by them, it's like out of sight, out of mind.

You might be able to plug in a camera behind one of these - my sister got them from Amazon.
Thanks that's a good idea

Jo_

Feb 19, 2019
@marionq yes I could watch it everywhere (including abroad) from my phone using my mobile data allowance. Similar issues to you with free WiFi not being good enough, and the WiFi in the PWD house not being fast enough for later playback, but even with those limitations it was both a godsend and an eye opener. Just the number of times the front door was being randomly opened by our PWD was startling. We wouldn't have known that without the hallway camera. It also gave great reassurance, we could see him sitting in his chair, all calm, in a similar way in which you plan to use it. The app is accessed by a password created by and unique to you on the app on your phone or iPad. Seemed secure to me. x

Prudencecat

Dec 21, 2018
We installed cameras when mum came out of hospital. We have three one downstairs where she sits , one focused on the front door and one in her bedroom. I honestly don't know what we would do without them now. We have the app on our phones and can check easily she is OK and if her carer has turned up.

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Thanks all. This morning I left him for over an hour with his 83 year old sister. Tea and chocolate biscuits, today's paper and a football magazine. As she can't speak I couldn't phone up and ask how they were but I was able to see them on my phone and apart from drinking their tea they never moved!

I hooked into the wifi on the local bus and in the shopping mall and both were really good. I enjoyed my shopping outing and didn't have to worry about him. I might try two hours next time.

Chrissie B

Jan 15, 2019
North Yorkshire
This is the view I get as a live video.
Picture is awesome, which model of camera is it? Do you think it will work with a rather old android phone, I have a Samsung note 3.
Would it be illegal to spy on relief carers that go in if they don't know, or can they spy on me if they find out?

Sam Luvit

Oct 19, 2016
East Sussex
I used to tell the carers as they arrived ... sort of drop it in the middle of the intro .. mums in there, here’s her stuff, there’s a camera in the corner ... I never made a big deal out of it, if anyone moaned I told them I didn’t watch them & moving the camera meant I had to try to get it back in the right place later.

You can just put a “you’re on CCTV” sticker in a window, then they’ve been notified. Not your problem if they don’t read it.

Anyone who isn’t doing anything wrong, won’t mind.

Jamesw46

Sep 11, 2019
We installed cameras when mum came out of hospital. We have three one downstairs where she sits , one focused on the front door and one in her bedroom. I honestly don't know what we would do without them now. We have the app on our phones and can check easily she is OK and if her carer has turned up.
That's a good idea you can see how long the carer is there for too,do you have to tell the carers they are there?My mother had all sorts of fun and games with 2 carers a year ago and I did contemplate getting them

Prudencecat

Dec 21, 2018
That's a good idea you can see how long the carer is there for too,do you have to tell the carers they are there?My mother had all sorts of fun and games with 2 carers a year ago and I did contemplate getting them
We asked the care agency if they had a problem with the cameras and they said they didn't and we put up a notice saying there was CCTV. It can be quite depressing when you watch the carers they always seemed to spend a long time writing up the notes or on their phones instead of interacting. One was going 15 minutes early so we were able to check back and see this was an on going problem always 5-15 minutes early which the agency addressed. Mum has passed away now but the cameras helped her stay at home longer. We have rescued her when she couldn't remember how to operate the stair lift and when she fell. Really made a big difference.

Disgruntled Daughter

Aug 29, 2019
Mum has vascular dementia. Carer has complained that camera is an invasion of her privacy and that I am eavesdropping on private conversations she is having with another family member!

Amber17

Sep 20, 2019
I would defo recommend WiFi Camera to monitor whilst not around.
I brought some from Argos ezviz at £40 each very good quality and easy set up. These are very good to view live through your smart phone and you can even speak to them and listen to them live. You can also use a memory card to record.
I use them to see what my mums doing when I’ve popped out during the day and I watch her during the night too.

But I must say like someone mentioned you should get a carers assessment done as you are entitled to get carers coming in to support.
Wish you the best

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suehart