Mini mental test, is it fit for purpose

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
You wrote that, @Norrms? Are you a journalist? (don’t answer if I’m being too nosy). I must admit my automatic reaction was “it’s not all about short term memory”, but having read it a second time and given it more thought, I do agree.

My mum did very well in her tests too. She was expert in hostess mode and it took every ounce of concentration from her to do it, but she passed the test no problem and the GP said, “You clearly don’t need the memory clinic - but I can refer you if you’re really worried?” To which mum replied “No, theres nothing wrong with me!” with a triumphant look in my direction. Meanwhile back at home she’s asking me the same questions over and over and forgetting how to work her TV.

You’re right, some questions about what happened that morning would be a valuable addition. So would a bit more awareness of hostessing!

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Interesting article Norms, thanks for posting. I think I agree with a lot of what you say as my mother did well in the mini memory test and just generally talking to the GP she seemed fine. as soon as we left the surgery she was very confused as to what had actually happened. In mum's case at the time her short term memory wasn't bad, my main concerns were with her increasing lack of logic.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
I had to point out to the nurse who had just conducted the standard test with mum that she and her friends had practiced it many times! Although mum did not do very well, she was brilliant with some of the tasks, word perfect with remembering the address she’d been given and also how to spell “ world” backwards - even with Alzheimer’s they were fixed in her memory because she and her friends used to chant them every week at their keep fit classes!!!

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Id just like to point out that dementia isnt just about short term memory loss, Some forms of dementia dont get short-term memory loss until the disease is very advanced and some of the questions are about other things that can be affected - visual perception, speech, sequencing, space/time orientation.

I agree, though that the MMSE is not fit for purpose, but perhaps not for the same reason as you - my OH can ace the MMSE because his short-term memory is not affected, but he cant work out how to wash himself.

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
You wrote that, @Norrms? Are you a journalist? (don’t answer if I’m being too nosy). I must admit my automatic reaction was “it’s not all about short term memory”, but having read it a second time and given it more thought, I do agree.

My mum did very well in her tests too. She was expert in hostess mode and it took every ounce of concentration from her to do it, but she passed the test no problem and the GP said, “You clearly don’t need the memory clinic - but I can refer you if you’re really worried?” To which mum replied “No, theres nothing wrong with me!” with a triumphant look in my direction. Meanwhile back at home she’s asking me the same questions over and over and forgetting how to work her TV.

You’re right, some questions about what happened that morning would be a valuable addition. So would a bit more awareness of hostessing!
No i am not a Journo lol, just someone who has dementia and loves to write

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
my husband improved his score last year to the the year before. he was asked to name animals beginning with a letter, he loves wildlife and watches it whenever it is on so that question was not hard.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jliesman