mind went totally blank

ossie10

Jul 22, 2013
really scared this morning,after my son went to work,i was in kitchen and my whole world went blank.Couldn't remember a thing,my name,what the kitchen was 'called' and where i was.Seemed like it went on for about five minutes,but it was probably alot less.Has this happened to anyone else and is it a sign of things to come?first time i have had anything like this since i was told two years or so ago.All as such seems fine now.Didn't want to worry my kids about it,so thought i would see if any help(as there normally is) on here

Thanks

Nick(ossie)

Auntie Mame

Jan 24, 2016
May I Recommend A Journal?

really scared this morning,after my son went to work,i was in kitchen and my whole world went blank.Couldn't remember a thing,my name,what the kitchen was 'called' and where i was.Seemed like it went on for about five minutes,but it was probably alot less.Has this happened to anyone else and is it a sign of things to come?first time i have had anything like this since i was told two years or so ago.All as such seems fine now.Didn't want to worry my kids about it,so thought i would see if any help(as there normally is) on here

Thanks

Nick(ossie)

At this point, for the sake of your family and medical intervention, it might be very very valuable for you to keep a journal, particularly noting any forgetfulness you notice, and episodes like this one. Just a daily printed diary of some kind, with brief notes, so you and your loved ones can see the larger picture as it evolves, or can recognize that a plateau has been reached, which I hope is the case.

john51

Apr 26, 2014
Dunstable, Bedfordshire
It really is worrying isn't it. I was diagnosed also about 2 years ago. Most often this happens to me first thing in the morning when I go downstairs to empty the dishwasher and make tea. I sit down and despair for a while until either it comes back or its time to acknowledge today as a bad day and ask my wife for help. My wonderful GP who has now sadly retired explained very kindly that it's part of the progress. Sorry not to have a nicer explanation. I hope you can get a better one. The idea of keeping a diary is a good one.
John

LynneMcV

Volunteer Moderator
May 9, 2012
south-east London

Thanks

Nick(ossie)

This sounds exactly like something that happened to my sister-in-law about 10 years ago now. She was at work and for a few minutes, like you, she could not think where she was, who she was, who her colleagues were or the names of objects around her such as pen, desk, paper. They all seemed familiar but she couldn't name them.

The moment passed but she was checked out and it turned out that she'd had a mini TIA. It has not happened since but she was very shaken at the time.

Might be best to raise it with your GP even if you feel fine now x.

Sue J

Dec 9, 2009
Hi Ossie

I experience it too and over the last month I have been worse than I have for several years and to literally not be able to find anything in your head to help you is frightening. Have learnt, as John says to think it is a bad day and know that bad days pass so things will pick up. I don't keep a diary as lost that ability when it all started but try to keep some record of major changes or things that might exacerbate symptoms. I have had to learn just literally to take one day at a time, enjoy the good ones and endure the bad ones.

Take it easy
Best wishes
Sue:)

aprilbday

Jan 27, 2016
Washington, DC USA
Yes! I have had this to happen to me. It makes you want to crawl into a fetal position and hold on.
I do not know what that is-but it is part of dementia. My neurologist has me on Aircept 20 Mgs and is monitoring me for fading that out to Namenda if continue to have that and other memory related challenges.
It's scary. I do not have Alz but another type of dementia doctor says. Don't be afraid. You will be ok. It is a very scary thing when it happens.

ossie10

Jul 22, 2013
thank you so much for the replies.Sorry didn't get back sooner had a poor weekend.Strange thing about it(i was a boxer) but have never been so frightened in all my life when this happened,as someone said i just wanted to curl up and want a cuddle from my late mother.Thank god my son didn't see me like this.

Bit of tagnet,my son looks after me (although he works,when may carers are around) they said he can claim (also) council tax reduction as he looks after me all through the week and nights.He thought because he works he was not allowed to.Anyone help?

Again many thanks for all your help,at times this place is like a haven to me,even though i dont post alot

love
Ossie(nick) xx

shelagh

Sep 28, 2009
Staffordshire
Me too

Yes I have experienced it too. Usually when I have been doing too much and am tired, It passes but leaves me terrified. I have always kept a journal as well as a diary and this helps generally but during those blank times I don't think I would think of looking in the diaries, I usually find a bed or a sofa and hide until the world comes back. Hold on. It is all we can do,

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Bit of tagnet,my son looks after me (although he works,when may carers are around) they said he can claim (also) council tax reduction as he looks after me all through the week and nights.He thought because he works he was not allowed to.Anyone help?

You can claim 25% reduction in council tax if someone lives with you even if they are working.

If you live alone I think you can still claim 100% reduction in council tax. My mother did but she died in 2002 and the system may have changed.

ossie10

Jul 22, 2013
thanks for all the help everyone,as said after my carers have gone this is first port of call.

love nick

aprilbday

Jan 27, 2016
Washington, DC USA
Anyone else have trouble with keeping a journal? I have seen several suggestions on how it helps but it's so difficult to do-I know that sounds silly. I started one but was laborious for me for some reason. I admire you guys that keep one.