MIL's aged care assessment

rainsong

Aug 9, 2013
My mother in law whom my hubby and I care for had an ACAT (aged care assessment - Australia) and we received the results today.

She qualified for either high level nursing home care and/or a level 3 & 4 at home care package. She currently lives alone in her own home with a lot of support from us but as we both work nearly full time and have young children we can only manage to visit her once a day in the evening for medication a meal.
She absolutely refuses home help. Ideally carers in her home would be workable as they could help with orientating her to time, breakfast, lunch, showering and activities. They would also prompt her to drink regularly and turn on her air conditioner as with summer coming it will be really dangerous leaving her without cooling.
My hubby really wants her to stay in her own home as he promised his dad before he passed that he would take care of her and she is very happy there.
I guess my question is how do we get her to accept carers in her home?

Witzend

Aug 29, 2007
SW London
This is very common, and equally can be very difficult.

Some people who are in charge of the finances have tried saying it's a free service from the government to people over X years, and this may work if the person is, or has become, very tight with money.

Others have said that they would be doing X (the carer) a real favour because she is short of money and really needs a little job.

Or, if the person is from the generation where the doctor = God, then the doctor has said they MUST have help.

Or 'Please, because it will stop me worrying about you so much.'

I'm not saying any of these will work, but they might be worth a try.
Good luck!