Mild cognitive impairment - cutting off things used to enjoy

Misty1001

Aug 29, 2021
Mum has been diagnosed mild cognitive impairment however we due to lots of ither things happening feel like its further down the line

Now coming up with excuses and stopped interacting as much (not coming for tea etc) - and was a daily church goer and has suddenly stopped going - just wonderi g if anyone else has experienced similar?

SERENA50

Jan 17, 2018
We are still waiting for a formal diagnosis but yes mild cognitive impairment has even mentioned and brain atrophy n Dad. Dad stopped coming our house for tea a few years ago, I would often pick him up only to have to turn around again when he became anxious. He has mobility problems now as well and it just became too much for him, as ,much as I would still love him to come. Apathy is another thing that comes too and goes and comes and sometimes despite best efforts you just have to go with it rather than try and change things. I just tend to go with his mood now it creates less stress for him to be fair and therefore us too. Take Care.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Yes - my mum was like that at first. She used to go to lots of different places shopping but cut it down so she'd only go to the place where she could get a bus door to door. Holidays or visits to places she was less familiar with went to. It became just one particular branch of M & S then straight home.

It got tricky because she used to do her big shop online and had done for a few years but she lost her ability to operate her computer. And Marks don't sell everything! But basically she stopped doing most things, anything outside her comfort zone or familiar routines because I think she had some awareness that she might get lost or whatever.

KTM65

Jun 5, 2021
This definitely happened with my husband after he was diagnosed with MCI. He went into depression wholeheartedly which was really horrible to watch and live with. Although he is 73 I am much younger, 52 so I work still and need to. He felt the " book had closed" and there was nothing worth doing any more.
Between myself and some exceptional work colleagues and friends, we have managed to get MH into a routine of socializing, helping at my school, heading out with friends for walks and also to accompany him to his numerous hospital visits (he seems to feel aches and pains which didnt exist before the MCI diagnosis) .
To get to this stage of him being biddable to do things and eat food which are beneficial in reducing the rate of brain shrinkage and also be sociable its been a very tough and wearing journey of 9 months.

Misty1001

Aug 29, 2021
Sorry to hear what you and your husband are going through sounds like you have a lovely routine for you both though

Jerac

Dec 10, 2020
This definitely happened with my husband after he was diagnosed with MCI. He went into depression wholeheartedly which was really horrible to watch and live with. Although he is 73 I am much younger, 52 so I work still and need to. He felt the " book had closed" and there was nothing worth doing any more.
Between myself and some exceptional work colleagues and friends, we have managed to get MH into a routine of socializing, helping at my school, heading out with friends for walks and also to accompany him to his numerous hospital visits (he seems to feel aches and pains which didnt exist before the MCI diagnosis) .
To get to this stage of him being biddable to do things and eat food which are beneficial in reducing the rate of brain shrinkage and also be sociable its been a very tough and wearing journey of 9 months.
This seems so familiar. I am glad you have got your husband to take part in some activities again. I am working to do this for mine (who is 74) but it seems like an uphill slog! I have never made so many hospital visits since his diagnosis for his various ailments!

DreamsAreReal

Oct 17, 2015
I don’t think Mild Cognitive Impairment is a particularly helpful description for someone with dementia. Maybe it means something else to a trained medic, but IMO, there’s nothing mild about it.

Mum’s Alzheimer Society support worker gave me the Council Tax discount form which clearly states it is for Severe mental impairment! I queried it with her (in view of mum’s diagnosis of Mild Mixed Dementia), and I can’t remember now exactly what she said, but she confirmed that mild dementia can be severe mental impairment. Confusing.

SERENA50

Jan 17, 2018
I don’t think Mild Cognitive Impairment is a particularly helpful description for someone with dementia. Maybe it means something else to a trained medic, but IMO, there’s nothing mild about it.

Mum’s Alzheimer Society support worker gave me the Council Tax discount form which clearly states it is for Severe mental impairment! I queried it with her (in view of mum’s diagnosis of Mild Mixed Dementia), and I can’t remember now exactly what she said, but she confirmed that mild dementia can be severe mental impairment. Confusing.
Hi

mmm I find it confusing since mild impairment, what does that even mean? Someone said the other day for example mild covid infection to a medical professional means not ending up in hospital but doesn't mean that you won't be really ill or have long covid or other issues. Maybe to a medical person mild cognitive impairment means something different. We were told Dad had some brain atrophy (still waiting for all the test results) which is parts of the brain shrinking I think but I have never found out which parts and how that might affect him day to day. We can work some things out ourselves but maybe I should ask more questions next time. I agree with you though how can you have a severe mental impairment that is mild mixed dementia very confusing.

Liz2704

Apr 21, 2022
I agree and so did the Stroke doctor. Mild Cognitive Impairment means very little to an untrained person. Our memory doc wrote in his diagnostic letter that this did not effect our day to day lives. Really. My husband is deteriorating in drops and platos. Our PIP was declined partly because of this letter. Now 10 months on I have requested a further review.
My husband keeps talking as if it is 20 years ago, before I met him. Finding things very hard right now..

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Now 10 months on I have requested a further review.
My husband keeps talking as if it is 20 years ago, before I met him
Make sure the doctor knows the reality of the situation. I always write a letter to the doctor before any appointment outlining what is actually happening. If they only hear your husbands version, thats what will go down on the records.

Liz2704

Apr 21, 2022
Make sure the doctor knows the reality of the situation. I always write a letter to the doctor before any appointment outlining what is actually happening. If they only hear your husbands version, thats what will go down on the records.
Yes that is a good thought. That keeps happening with most appointments, nurses,physio, docs etc. When I say how things are he makes me feel I am making it up and lying.

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
My OH was Diagnosed with MCI by the DR- she said after the examination and test -We take bloods make a appointment with Memory clinic asked a more senior DR to assist and was told its MCI , not what it was to my OH came out of the DR Surgery and we had to look it up on the computer= we had to have a follow up call to the DR and she said we have put hm on the urgent list,

Liz2704

Apr 21, 2022
We were told, no treatment, drugs etc. Just try and keep mind active and manage all other health issues. Easier said than done. The worst bit is we think his brain is not signaling that he needs the loo so we are managing inconvenience now on top of other things. X

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
We were told, no treatment, drugs etc. Just try and keep mind active and manage all other health issues. Easier said than done. The worst bit is we think his brain is not signaling that he needs the loo so we are managing inconvenience now on top of other things. X
Hi @Liz2704
Get the GP to refer him to the continence clinic for advice and help in managing this