Mild cognative impairment

Debmar

Sep 26, 2011
Nottingham
Hi my mum has recently been diagnosed with mild cognative impairment and is going to a day hospital two days a week for assessment we are concerned that there is more going on her scan came back with evidence of mini strokes she forgets things minuites after you have said them she can be aggressive and angry then tearful and depressed my dad is really struggling as he gets it all the time...... I go round and she'll say "one day I'm going to kill him" my sister lives a few miles away my brother lives in Hong Kong so I'm the only one close by and unfortunately we don't have the best relationship I always got accused of having "middle child syndrome" but she's my mum and I want to do what I can to help her and my dad but I don't know what else I can do!! anyone know how likely this is to become dementia as she seems to getting worse........xx

Nebiroth

Aug 20, 2006
Mild Cognitive Impairment is the small loss of ability (cognitive/memory etc) that accompanies old age in some people. Not everyone gets MCI (just as not everyone needs glasses) but it is regarded as a normal part of the aging process rather than a specific disease.

It can be difficult to distinguish it from the earliest stages of dementia. In fact, this ir probably why dementia was thought of as not being a disease but just a consequence of being old in some people - the effects were just more severe (this is why it was called senile dementia - literally, 'of old age'). Dementia is indeed predominantly, but not exclusively, a disease of the elderly. But it is a disease (in fact, a number of them) and it is not normal.

The big difference is that dementia (the most common form being Alzheimer's) will be both more severe and progressive.

The symptoms you describe such as the worsening memory problems and personality changes are suggestive of something more than MCI.

I suggest keeping a diary of abnormal behaviors, then going to your mum's doctor with it and voicing your concerns. Due to patient confidentiality, the doctor cannot discuss your mum in detail, but they can listen to what you say. The things you mention would surely warrant another assessment at least. Most doctors are willing to collude in a little subterfuge when someone is unwilling to see them. For example, asking mum to make an appointment as part of a "well woman" program for example. The upcoming flu jabs present an ideal opportunity to get mum to see the doctor.

Debmar

Sep 26, 2011
Nottingham
Thanks for replying i can keep a diary as can my sister about phone calls etc but don't know weather my dad would be able to my mum watches everything he does she moans about him just going in the garden his memory is poor but it's different if you know what I mean at 80 its understandable that his memory might not be as good as it was!! He walks on egg shells all the time and can not leave her for long without him being in trouble I hate what it's doing to my dad as much as I hate how my mum is it's just not who she is or was.....This is unknown territory and I'm scared of how to handle it!!!

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Hello Debmr , Just sending much Love , Support & Prayer's to you & all the Family at this sad & hard time for you all in the days , weeks & months to come .

Love & Hugs

Love Grove x

TedHutchinson

Account Closed
May 20, 2009
Louth Lincs
Last edited: