MIL had a fall - ideas please re camera?

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
Hi all

Since picking the MIL up from respite care at the weekend she has been more unsteady on her feet and using her stick even just from her room to the toilet. Last night the cat starting miaowing at the conservatory door which is unusual and I went out and found the MIL on sat on the door step of her annex. She had her knees done about 20 years ago and if she falls she cannot get up without help. Anyway she is fine was just a little cold but as she was out of range of the automatic outside light so it did not come on. She often puts all the lights out in her annex before she locks the door and goes to bed and I think that she did this and did not see where she was going. No point using night lights as she would pull them out and even puts a cover over the standby light on the tv and turns her clock around (an ordinary one without light!)

So any ideas what can we put in her annex to keep an eye on her? She also shuts her blinds at night so we cannot see in if she falls. She did have a panic button but refused to use it as only old people had them! and eventually did not even realise what it was for so we took away. So ideas TP readers? I know some have put cameras in of some sort do you have the link or name - can I get them on Amazon etc? Thanks as usual

Jessbow

Mar 1, 2013
Midlands
No suggestions but be sure to get an infra red one- if all the lights are off you'll not see a lot otherwise

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
I got our camera from amazon. Easy to set up, has a night vision option and 2 way speaker, but I can't get other half to answer me loudly enough to pick him up. I can veiw him on either my tablet, phone or pc via the internet. Also works with Alexa.

Perfectly happy wth it.

Andrew_McP

Mar 2, 2016
South Northwest
I'm no good at writing on this tablet, but look at cheap shed alarms. Range is pretty Good and if the sensor is outside pointing at her door you could plug the receiver where you'll hear it any time. the one i use to wake me when my mother gets out of bed was about £15. sensor positioning will have to be careful or you'll be disturbed by anything that passes in the night, maybe even moths.

£19 at the time, £23 now. I've had the same batteries in the sensor for almost two years. I expected them to burn up a lot quicker than that.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01710MOZ0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
I got our camera from amazon. Easy to set up, has a night vision option and 2 way speaker, but I can't get other half to answer me loudly enough to pick him up. I can veiw him on either my tablet, phone or pc via the internet. Also works with Alexa.

Perfectly happy wth it.

Hi Rosetta whats the name and model etc does it run on battery or plug?

RosettaT

Sep 9, 2018
Mid Lincs
I sent you a pm yesterday with all the details tho' to be honest I can't find out how to follow it up.

It's mains electric & wifi, it's a Vimtag snowman £10 less than I paid last year :rolleyes:

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I have a YI camera, they are about 30 pounds on Amazon. Mine is trained on the kettle. Every time the beam is broken it sends a message to my phone. Once you have purchased the camera there are no monthly charges. I believe the model after mine had a feature called ‘baby crying’ which could be useful. The question is of course would the person cry out or sit in silence.? It may be worth investigating, even without the baby cry the YI has been one of my best buys.

LHS

Oct 5, 2018
I bought a logitech camera that i set up on my mums driveway and front door. It also captures audio. It records all movement detected for 24 hours and you can save clips if you want. No ongoing subscription unless you want the more advanced features.

Donkeyshere

May 25, 2016
outside UK
Most of these run on wifi but the MIL does not have that in her annex and our signal is very weak - would a wifi booster work - apologies not very tecchy! She is about 30 ft away from the router?

Last edited:

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Most of these run on wifi but the MIL does not have that in her annex and our signal is very weak - would a wifi booster work - apologies not very tecchy! She is about 30 ft away from the router?
I think it would, but not expert enough to say for sure.
They do not cost much so may be worth taking a chance.
I have had to change my outlook on money, when dealing with dementia, a lot of the things they do waste money, I have had to re train my brain to say ‘oh well’! And genuinely not worry. It helps me a great deal as there is no point in getting cross!

Cap'n Grimm

Feb 6, 2019
I have a good camera setup. Are we allowed to recommend brands on this forum? If so I’ll let you know.

wireless was a bit of an issue as it didn’t reach out to the garage but I got round this problem with power line network adapters. They send network signals down existing electrical wiring. If the annex and your house are on the same electrical circuit this would be a good solution. They’re not too expensive. Around £40 and a camera for maybe £70.

rainbowcat

Oct 14, 2015
We already had one of those - she refused to wear it !

...and the one that my father had (with 3 or 4 different bracelet buttons in the space of 5 months) NEVER detected a fall, but was REALLY good at sending fall alerts at 5 or 6am while my dad was fast asleep in bed and not moving at all...!