MIL assaulted another resident

Margaret79

May 11, 2010
Wisbech, Cambridgeshire
MIL has been in respite for the past 10 days and I had a call this afternoon to say that she had assaulted another resident. :eek::eek::eek: Punched her in the face evidently and then taunted her calling her a baby because she was crying.

She goes to this care home for daycare as well as respite so they know her quite well, the senior who called said it was out of character for MIL to do this, she has once before got into some pushing and shoving when she wanted to get through a door before someone else.

They took her to the memory lane side of the home (for residents with behaviour problems) and calmed her down with a chat and a cuppa and she seems to be fine now.

The senior did say that the manager may want to speak to us when she's read all the reports but I forgot to ask what happens next, if anything. The cynical side of me says that they will now want more money on top of the £780 they charge now for a weeks respite.

I asked her to test MIL's urine to make sure there's no infection. She's coming home on Sunday which I wasn't looking forward to anyway. :( Luckily the CPN is visiting on Monday.

Not sure if there's anything else I should be doing or saying, never been in this position before!

AlsoConfused

Sep 17, 2010
They might want to suggest speaking to doctor about tweaking your MIL's medication, about their ideas for protecting both MIL and other residents ...

Isn't there a motto "Never trouble trouble until trouble troubles you"? If you can, please assume the care home just wants to help you and your MIL - and has useful ideas to offer because they've seen this kind of aggro so often between residents.

GOOD LUCK!