Might well becoming a regular on this forum so thought I would say hi.

Discussion in 'Recently diagnosed and early stages of dementia' started by Max68, Aug 21, 2018.

1. Max68

Max68 Registered User

Aug 21, 2018
    Male
    Sussex
    Thank you.

2. Phelippe

Phelippe New member

Dec 21, 2018
    Hi Max. What a roller coaster ride you’ve had! I’ve read through all your posts from the beginning and found them helpful - and scary! My wife (71) is in the early stages of Alzheimer’s, memory loss and some disorientation. She’s had both brain scan and lumbar puncture (though hospital record keeping is extraordinarily poor!) She’s also on anti-depressants, which have certainly helped, also with anxiety.
    I see that I first wrote in the Forum in (I think) Feb 2016, so it’s been quite a while getting to a more definite diagnosis.
    We have three children, who are aware of what is happening and will help where they can but since Friday when we saw the neurologist (who will be ringing me on Tuesday) I have been worrying quite a bit. I’ve just been diagnosed myself with the earliest stages of prostate cancer (I’m 77) and it’s all a lot to take in.
    Quite possibly, like you, making use of the Forum will be very helpful.

3. Max68

Max68 Registered User

Aug 21, 2018
    Male
    Sussex
    Phelippe, My thoughts with you all in these tough times. The people here are fabulous and are kind and generous with their help, support and advice and at times "tell it as it is" which we all need to hear from time to time!!

It's been a rough ride, and will almost certainly get rougher but it does help having a place like this to throw down your thoughts and vent if you need to, and I am more than happy for anyone to vent on my thread if they wish!!!

We have seen a little light at the end of the tunnel. It's still tough seeing mum but my sister has now seen her on two days when she has been in pretty good form with no tears or frustration in her new home. I have seen a few good moments along with a quick change to sadder ones but the good thing is there are good moments now whereas in hospital there weren't any so you take the good times. Can't fault the home they are superb and at least I am sleeping now knowing mum is being cared for and safe.

4. CarlW

CarlW Registered User

Apr 10, 2019
    Hi Max, it certainly is a rough ride. I'm pleased to hear that you are happy with the home and that you have had some good days.

5. DesperateofDevon

DesperateofDevon Registered User

Jul 7, 2019
    Dad went into CH in November 2018, he has been on several day trips out with staff & other residents- he’s off to the beach this week. I take Dad out once a month on average & time our return with a meal to get him back into the CH routine. I will be honest it’s exhausting as I’m afraid he will fall, have incontinence or just break into a sprint & disappear -which is highly unlikely!
    But he’s safe & cared for by lovely people who have become the care home family.
    I ask for advice & support in what’s best for Dad as these folks have the experience to make life for family easier.
    Residents settle it just takes time
    Try not to worry
    X

6. Max68

Max68 Registered User

Aug 21, 2018
    Male
    Sussex
    Yep thank you it seems mum has settled a lot more and seems happy and content with less tears so it's a lot less rough for her now and that's a relief, unfortunately rough times ahead for the rest of us as per my other thread in the Finance section. Dementia destroys so many lives in more ways than one.

7. Rosettastone57

Rosettastone57 Registered User

Oct 27, 2016
    I'm pleased things have worked out for your mum in the care home. Stay strong