Middle of the night stroll

Thethirdmrsc

Apr 4, 2018
Sometimes the OH goes downstairs for a few hours, if he is having nightmares or can’t sleep. He did last night about 2am, so I wasn’t too bothered, but then I can’t sleep, and lie awake to listen. About 4am, I could hear what I thought was the inner conservatory door close, then 5 mins later odd noises. So I got up, and there he was outside the front door, in my dressing gown, with my glasses on, trying to get in using the shed keys. He had gotten out through the conservatory door, and went around the house. He couldn’t remember how, why or what. That’s a first. Does this happen to anyone else?

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Im afraid that going out in the night is quite a regular occurrance in dementia. Can you lock the conservatory door at night and remove the keys so that he cant get out?

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Yes it does happen @Thethirdmrsc.

It can often be simply using the wrong door but otherwise waking up in the night and just getting up, as so many of us do for the toilet or in my husband`s case it was to make a drink.

Medication can cause increased confusion, also erratic blood sugar or an infection. If all these are eliminated then there is a need to perhaps install a pressure mat by the side of the bed and sensors on door frames.

Annie6

Jul 8, 2020
My husband just doesn't sleep. He'll sit on the edge of the bed for a few seconds then walk about, sometimes wanting the toilet or wandering downstairs, back up again and so it goes on. I'm lucky if i get 2 hours sleep at night. He's been on a raft of medication including diazepam zopiclone tamazepam, in fact every other sort of pam, but nothing seems to effect him. Two weeks ago he was taken into hospital with fluid that was caused by the heart. It wasn't until he went in that i realised how tired i had become. Over the last 6 months i had been living on between 2 hours to no hours sleep a night. I'm dreading the thought of this happening again.

Bunpoots

Volunteer Host
Apr 1, 2016
Nottinghamshire
Welcome to Dementia Talking Point Barbara.

you’ve certainly had it tough over the last 6 months! I found lack of sleep on the odd night hard to deal with so I don’t know how you managed. Ow that your husband is in hospital it might give you an opportunity to sort out some proper support for you both. You can’t be expected to cope without sleep so if I were you I’d be pushing for a carehome place - just to get his needs assessed in the first place. The hospital social worker should be able to help you with this. Ask to speak to them and refuse to have your husband discharged until it can be done safely. No sleep is neither safe nor sustainable for either of you.