Mid Stage Vascular Dementia?

so unfair

Mar 27, 2015
My Mother-in-Law has been in nursing care since May of this year and recently she has lost a lot of weight to the extent where her face has sunk inwards and her clothes are hanging off her. I am just wondering if she is now at mid-stage vascular dementia as she seems to be deteriorating very rapidly. She is now incontinent, which we did not realise until May when she was admitted into hospital after having a nasty fall. Is this the beginning of the end? She was diagnosed in March 2015 and declined rapidly at the beginning then nothing for ages and now since May everything has nose dived! To cap it all her brother has just passed away a few days ago and we were wondering whether to try and take my MIL to the funeral? I am not sure whether this would be a good idea or not as she is very unsteady on her feet and also has incontinence issues. I wonder what other people have done in this situation?

Cat27

Feb 27, 2015
Merseyside
I'm sorry about your Uncle.
Personally I wouldn't take her to the funeral as it would be stressful for her.

lemonjuice

Jun 15, 2016
England
My advice would be absolutely not even try to take her to the funeral, she's had enough changes to cope with recently it seems.

A sudden downward turn is quite usual with vascular dementia which tends to proceed in steps down, though some types are also easily confused with Alzheimer's because those steps are relatively long and shallow.