Microwave oven

MartinRB

Aug 10, 2022
Can anyone recommend a simple microwave that my sister (recently diagnosed with Alzheimers) might be able to operate and is safe to use?

Having carried out some preliminary research it would ideally come with a pull handle for opening and have easy to read dials or knobs rather than buttons are better. Is there a model available that automatically senses the length of time needed to heat/cook food? If not an autosensor cut off would be useful.

Many thanks

Louise7

Volunteer Host
Mar 25, 2016
Hello @MartinRB and welcome to Talking Point. Sorry to hear about your sister's diagnosis - is she currently able to use a microwave? People with dementia can find it difficult to learn new things and I know from experience that when my mum started having difficulty with working the microwave -which was a fairly basic one with simple controls - then it was time for someone to help with meals. I've seen microwaves with pull handles in various retailers but I've not heard of one that automatically knows how long something needs heating, or one with an auto cut off, and it may be that even if there was one like that your sister might not grasp how to use it. Other members might be able to offer some suggestions for you but perhaps it might be time for someone to supervise your sister when she is using appliances or provide hot meals for her.

Valpiana

Sep 16, 2019
There are models with auto cook functions but they are not going to easy for a person with Alzheimers to operate and as time goes by even the simplest of microwaves will be impossible for an Alzheimers patient to operate. If you absolutely need to get one then buy the simplest thing you can find but even that could become a fire risk or risk your sister burning herself if she doesn't appreciate how hot the food has become.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
As others have said, supervision is key, I'm afraid . There comes a point where the simplest appliance becomes too difficult for a person with dementia. What seems easy to you and I will be unmanageable for them, just unable to learn anything new.

northumbrian_k

Volunteer Host
Mar 2, 2017
Newcastle
I don't know if they are easier to use or how they compare in price, but a small bench top oven might be an alternative. My Dad got one when my Mam's dementia and care home admission meant that he had to fend for himself after many years of not cooking. It seemed like a good solution for him but he did not have dementia.

Whatever you choose, be prepared to be told that it is broken or doesn't work. That's common as Alzheimer's progresses and even the simplest tasks - anything requiring sequencing and following instructions - become insurmountable.

Malalie

Sep 1, 2016
If she ever had one before, and used it regularly, I would go on ebay and try to find the same model. (I made the big mistake of trying to find a "Simpler Model"....

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
I AM supervised these days with the microwave but still have no idea how to use it. Just part of my gradual decline I am afraid. Even mild tempered people who consider these easy to use become stressed with my confusion. I despair of my future and for that of my carer(s)

SERENA50

Jan 17, 2018
Hi

We have a delonghi one which is just very simple. However this is Dad's mm probably fourth one. He blew the others up we think by putting plates in that are not mircrowavable. This one he has also burnt the bottom seal and it will need replacing but we would need to find an identical one lol.. Doesn't matter how many times or notes we leave to give instructions Dad just cannot fathom those out. I think at this point if we could not find an identical one we would be in trouble. They changed the label on Dad's 'normal ' orange juice and he didn't buy it saying they had not got any when really when I went they had updated the label to a more modern one.

Banjomansmate

Jan 13, 2019
Dorset
One of the signs of The Banjoman’s dementia was when suddenly he had no idea how to use my key pad controlled microwave. He coped with using his own basic timer controlled one for longer but even that ability went as he couldn’t work out how long to turn the dial to and put a tinfoil container in there.
He had done restaurant catering for years and used microwaves all the time!

MartinRB

Aug 10, 2022
With apologies for the delay in replying I would like to thank you all for your replies and very helpful advice.

Helen CW

Feb 8, 2024
I was looking for an answer to this very question when I lucked upon this forum. My husband gets so confused but I cannot get him to understand simple (for me) things. He gets mixed up when anything "new" or different is added. We stopped buying a certain bread as he always burned it in the oven. Now that we buy loaf bread that he can just pop in the toaster, he thinks he has to put it in the microwave or broiler with aluminum foil. I caught him and told him not to ever use aluminum foil in the microwave because it will cause a fire. Now this morning, I see he did it again, but I didn't catch him this time. Now the microwave has burn marks. When I told him foil causes fire in the microwave, he said no wonder he saw flames! I don't know what to do. Am wondering if I should just give up the microwave and buy a toaster oven - but that would be new and he would have problems with that too. I don't know what to do now. Any suggestions?

SarahJC

Nov 9, 2023
We had no luck with microwaves, my mum broke 2 despite clear signs written to guide her. It became an added worry when she couldn’t work out if she needed use the microwave or oven! As this carried on in the same vein, we have gradually had to take on more and more to now doing everything. Maybe meals on wheel?

sheepfield

Feb 4, 2024
I think that things are heading that way with my mother in law. She tried to microwave dry Cup a Soup powder the other day. Though she does seem to manage ready meals at the moment.
She doesn't seem able to operate her intercom any more though I wondered for a while if she wasn't able to see it and that was why she was having trouble. I've stuck a diagram to it but she perhaps can't see or understand it or both. She's having vision problems amongst many other issues.

Angel55

Oct 23, 2023
I was looking for an answer to this very question when I lucked upon this forum. My husband gets so confused but I cannot get him to understand simple (for me) things. He gets mixed up when anything "new" or different is added. We stopped buying a certain bread as he always burned it in the oven. Now that we buy loaf bread that he can just pop in the toaster, he thinks he has to put it in the microwave or broiler with aluminum foil. I caught him and told him not to ever use aluminum foil in the microwave because it will cause a fire. Now this morning, I see he did it again, but I didn't catch him this time. Now the microwave has burn marks. When I told him foil causes fire in the microwave, he said no wonder he saw flames! I don't know what to do. Am wondering if I should just give up the microwave and buy a toaster oven - but that would be new and he would have problems with that too. I don't know what to do now. Any suggestions?
Hello 💗

We never solved the microwave.

Dad blew up about five in total. Foil yes and also plates with metal decorations as well, including mixing up convection time with microwaving meaning food often shrank in size and totally inedible lol..

We then had trouble with finding exactly the same one again as well.

We did try notes and also blocked out a lot of the buttons and again no foil signs but we had very limited success.

I wish I had better news for you. xx

SarahJC

Nov 9, 2023
Hi Sheepfield, it is a very strange situation when you start this journey looking after someone with dementia, We too thought is was eyesight problems, not seeing what is in front of her so got her eyes rechecked but it isn’t , just the type of dementia. We now now try to accept what we are coming across. But when tired easier said than done.
We bought a chair with remote to help her elevate herself to get out of it, of course she
couldn’t find the remote and would be throwing herself over the arms to get back in as had left the leg rest up.
This forum is so helpful and at present I think our journey with our mums issues is generally okay caring for her but in the same boat with my life completely revolving around her needs.

Helen CW

Feb 8, 2024
Thank you Izzy. I'm usually busy with husband's appts, meals, answering the same questions over and over, etc but I plan to contribute - even if only to vent, (smile).