Microsoft Word

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
I have just started a learn direct computer course and need Microsoft word on my computer which I don't have. I have Wordpad which is different. Does anyone know of a safe free download and how I would go about it? It is for my desktop which is Vista.

Thanks

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Microsoft Word is licensed software - there was an option from Microsoft to try it for 30 days at no charge before buying but I can't find reference to that now.

There's a great Home and Student version of the Office Suite available for less that £70 [that covers 3 PCs] from places like Amazon. The package is well worth buying even for one PC, even if you ignore Excel and PowerPoint, which are included.

Yes, it is £70, and why don't they sell a single copy for £25 or something, but the fact is, they don't.

If you need it for the course, then I would suggest you buy the Office Suite as above.

If there is a free download of the software, and it doesn't come from Microsoft, it won't be safe at a number of levels.

Word 2007 is great software. Word 2010 is due soon and people buying the 2007 version now will be likely to get a free upgrade when it is launched.

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Thank you Bruce:) I think I will need Powerpoint and Excel so I will purchase the one you suggested. I really appreciate your advice.

Love

JPG1

Account Closed
Jul 16, 2008
Helen,

There is normally a 'Student' version of most Office versions, and they're often about £20 or more less than the normal Office Home edition. Same content; just available to Student versions of the real world.

It might be worth asking about that, especially if you are a student now.

Gets cheaper by the minute: http://www.software4students.co.uk/ Not that I've ever had dealings with this particular website, so can't vouch for it.

Don't download - buy the 'tangible' version of any software that you might need to re-install at any point.

Last edited:

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Thanks JPG1 - I had to smile at you mentioning that I was now a student:D It had never crossed my mind but I suppose I am!! Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

Love

PostTenebrasLux

Mar 16, 2010
London & Oxford
I use the totally legal and completely FREE

Open Office Org

http://www.openoffice.org/

there is NOTHING dodgy or inefficient about this programme suite.
Easy to install, entirely compatible with other Word/Windows documents, both for sending and receiving.

Good luck and happy writing!

Martina

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Helen

if you fit the definition of 'student':

The licensee of the products is required to be a University, College or School student in the UK.

then a licence at academic discount may apply.

Whether Learn Direct fits that bill is something you will need to check.

If not then the details I gave you earlier have no qualification other than that the software should not be used for commercial purposes.

I use the totally legal and completely FREE

Open Office Org

compatible it may be, but Word it aint and is unlikely to be of any use to someone enrolled on a Word course. Compatible generally refers to the ability to interchange documents. I can't say from experience, but look and feel are likely to be at least a little different.

Last edited:

Helen33

Jul 20, 2008
Hi Martina, Thanks for your information but it does stipulate that it has to be Microsoft Word. I appreciate your effort to help me:)

Hi Bruce, I doubt very much whether studying with Learn Direct officially classes me as a 'student':D I am just tongue in cheek really. I draw my pension next month!!!

Love

Brucie

Jan 31, 2004
near London
Hi Helen

I doubt very much whether studying with Learn Direct officially classes me as a 'student'

I worked for many years in academia and understand student licensing, which is why I phrased my original reply as I did.

The Student and Home software is a good deal, particularly if you use the other included Office software, so best of luck in your studies!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar