1. Expert Q&A: Benefits - Weds 23 October, 3-4pm

Our next expert Q&A will be on the topic of benefits. It will be hosted by Lauren from our Knowledge Services team. She'll be answering your questions on Wednesday 23 October between 3-4pm.

You can either post your question >here< or email them to us at talkingpoint@alzheimers.org.uk and we'll be happy to ask them on your behalf.

1. Grommit

Grommit Registered User

Apr 26, 2006
    Doncaster
    Just a note on spatial awareness.

I have noticed that when I am up stairs and Jean is downstairs, she tends to wander a lot from room to room and then gets quite agitated.

To combat this I break off from what I am doing every 5 minutes or so, hang over the bannister ans shout "I'm up here Jean if yoiu want me".

This is usually followed by Jean and moving about downstairs and answering "yes. However, she never comes to the bottom of the stairs to answer and always stands in the kitchen.

I did shout the other day then crept downstairs to see where she stood to answer.

She stands in front of the microwave oven door and answers to the microwave.

She must think I am in there if I am not in the room.

2. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    It is so sad.

If you shouted you were upstairs, or in the bedroom, rather than `up here`, would it make a difference?

3. connie

connie Registered User

Mar 7, 2004
    Frinton-on-Sea
    Whenever I called to Lionel "I am in here", if I was in another part of the bungalow, he would say "where's here"

He could not follow the sound of my voice. Mind you later on if I said I was in the front bedroom, he would call "where is that".

He used to describe his world like living in a perpetual fog.

4. Grannie G

Grannie G Volunteer Moderator

Apr 3, 2006
    Kent
    Dhiren describes his lapses as a fog or looking through a net curtain. He often shouts `where are you?` and I always now say the name of the room I`m in, as I know he won`t find me otherwise.

5. cris

cris Registered User

Aug 23, 2006
    Chelmsford
    I find that Susan does not have a clue as to which room is which, even if I say a room but also she does not know which direction sound is coming from. I can be 10 feet in front of her & call her name and she will still turn around looking
    for me. :(
    cris