Metting with consultant yesterday

kazza73

Feb 11, 2009
Perthshire Scotland
Well dad and i met with mum's consultant yesterday and also with the ward registrar, the nursing manager and senior nurse on mum's unit. The SW was supposed to be there but didn't turn up:mad:
Basically the consultant said mum has surprised them all, many times over the past 9 months they thought she wouldn't last much longer but each time she has beaten the odds and pulled through. He feels that many of the episodes mum has had over recent months (agitation and aggression) have been due to her still having insight, she has been aware of her failing abilities and has struggled to accept personal care etc. Now he thinks she has progressed to a point where she has no insight, she is living in her own little world and exterior factors have very little impact on that. her medication at the moment seems to be doing a good job of keeping her settled and pain free and as a result she no longer really fits the criteria to remain where she is.

So the next step will be discharge to a nursing home. There is no rush or pressure, it is most important that we find the right place for mum, even if that takes a while. The unit mum is on is due to transfer to the new hospital they are building and when they move their remit will change, because of this they are not admitting any new patients and those in the unit will either be discharged to nursing homes or transferred to other suitable hospital units. Both the nursing manager and consultant were keen to emphasise that we should take our time, find the right place, however long it takes (within reason).

The consultant says that as mum is now she really needs nursing care more than psychiatric care so she doesn't need an EMI home. Moving her at this stage does carry some risks, mortality rates of transfer at this late stage are pretty grim so again that is why there is no rush and they are keen to ensure mum goes to the right place and that wherever she goes liases closely with the team of nurses who have been caring for mum.

Because the SW didn't turn up we will have to have another meeting with her to sort out the funding side of things- mum will qualify for free personal care and should also get AA as she is under 65, other than that she will be self-funding.

I feel quite sad that mum will be moving on. The care she has had in the unit has been amazing, the nurses are angels and have been so caring and supportive of our whole family. I will miss them all and feel sad that mum will not pass away in their loving care.

So next step is to meet with SW and to revisit homes and arrange assessments etc. I think we have a couple of favourites already, neither have beds just now but we'd be happy with either of them so it may be a case of which has a bed first.

And so our journey continues. It's a rocky road with many twists and turns but we're still here, travelling along together.

Karen x

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
It is a rocky road Karen and all I hope is you find a home which meets all yours and your mum`s requirements.

Recent Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackiejan