Metaphors for dementia: online survey

F Miyamasu

Feb 21, 2022
About the researcher and the study

I am a British instructor at the Faculty of Medicine, University of Tsukuba, Japan, where, in addition to teaching medical English to Japanese medical students, I conduct linguistic research into the metaphors people use to make sense of their lived experiences. This time I am conducting a study entitled: “The Lived Experience of Dementia as Revealed by the Metaphors People with Dementia Use to Describe and Make Sense of Their Condition.”

I am seeking participants to this study, the findings of which will contribute to increasing understanding of the lived experience of people with dementia as expressed by them in their very own metaphors and words.

Who can participate?

Anyone with a diagnosis of dementia

How to participate?

The study involves accessing a Google Form and filling in the blanks of a sentence, “Dementia is like _____________ because ____________.” You may add more sentences to this one if you wish. You will also give some background information about yourself, such as age, gender, type of dementia, and time since dementia diagnosis.

Filling in the metaphor-sentence and background information should take 10 to 20 minutes.

If you are interested in participating in this study, please click the link below:

https://forms.gle/dpwmy1yX5VVcBdq27

The study will close on March 22nd, 2022.

For more information about the study, please contact: miyamasuf@gmail.com

Last edited by a moderator:

WJG

Sep 13, 2020
Yes, plenty of us do - thank you very much. It is one of the great myths that everyone with dementia has lost insight and is at a further stage of illness.

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
Yes, plenty of us do - thank you very much. It is one of the great myths that everyone with dementia has lost insight and is at a further stage of illness.
Indeed we do! I am feeling a little 'bolshie' this morning. MAybe a result of the winds and floods we have surrounding us. But YES plenty of us can, and do, do things. I constantly hear comments about 'can SHE do this, understand that, find the other. Well I completed a marathon a year after diagnosis, and still swim outdoors several times weekly (not today as the roads to get there are flooded) grow all out own vegetables AS WELL AS having days when I cannot. I am only too aware my skills are slippikng away but I hate the assumptions that we are all useless.

Rant over.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ian.Hogan