Do you see the fear behind my smile, and know i love you so,
Do you hear me weep at night, when you are asleep,
Can you hear the footsteps of dementia, as towards me it creep`s
Can you feel my worries, anxiety and my woes
Just want to tell you all dear friends, I TRULY LOVE YOU SO

Cc Norrms, Diagnosed with dementia 8 years ago aged 50 xxx

Please share

A beautiful poem Norrms. Thank You.

The tear at the corner of mum's eyes is the most prominent memory of my mother and because she has now lost even that ability makes that memory even more poignant

grove

Aug 24, 2010
North Yorkshire
Morning Norms , A beautiful Poem ( even tho it is a little sad:() But thank you for doing it Lovely & thank you also for sharing your Insight & all the Dementia Friendly :) work you do Brilliant Work !

Grove x

aprilbday

Jan 27, 2016
Washington, DC USA
Bravo for that passion, the reality, and the brilliant imagery in this poem. "The Footsteps of Dementia" ----Those words scared the **** out of me as I suddenly could imagined dementia as a monster in a horror movie creeping towards its helpless prey.
Good poem.
But haunting.

jhoward

Aug 3, 2011
west sussex
so true, that poem! Thanks Norms

Do you see the hidden tears behind my eyes, as you go,
Can you hear the footsteps of dementia, as towards me it creeps

Spot on, Norms! Hits the spot for me exactly. 'Footsteps of dementia' creeping towards me is just how it feels. And I'm still well enough to be aware of how horribly it can end.

It's a nasty place to be in - but like other people I've met at the start of the condition, I try to be resolute and practical and accepting, and be thankful for what I have in the way of lovely friends and relatives, a little house. But all the same, it's a real bereavement, a loss-to-come of the person I took myself to be.

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Do you see the hidden tears behind my eyes, as you go,
Can you hear the footsteps of dementia, as towards me it creeps

Spot on, Norms! Hits the spot for me exactly. 'Footsteps of dementia' creeping towards me is just how it feels. And I'm still well enough to be aware of how horribly it can end.

It's a nasty place to be in - but like other people I've met at the start of the condition, I try to be resolute and practical and accepting, and be thankful for what I have in the way of lovely friends and relatives, a little house. But all the same, it's a real bereavement, a loss-to-come of the person I took myself to be.

Often people on here say not to worry as the person with Dementia will have forgotten what he or she did. Sadly, OH is like you and is aware she has had an accident in the night or that she can't remember things she ought to. That is the most distressing part.
Sorry, that was not necessarily helpful, jhoward. But, you and Norms are not alone and I wish could help you both and OH with your struggles.

jhoward

Aug 3, 2011
west sussex
But, you and Norms are not alone and I wish could help you both and OH with your struggles.

Well of course you do already, by being here, and by letting people like me have the occasional moan...!

aprilbday

Jan 27, 2016
Washington, DC USA
Irish-

Don't let Dementia steal so easily and so fast. It has its turn as "what will-be-will-be". But in the meantime, don't you give in. Kick'em. Hurt'em. Pretend you are not alone no matter how you feel and when you are with people -, smile, laugh, converse with all of your might!
Don't give in. Dementia has been described as a "monster" in a poem.
You wouldn't just roll over and let an actual monster come after you taking all of your valuables, destroying all you cared for, right? So --don't let this evil steal from you so easily. Post on TP like you are doing. Post often. Defy the isolation. Talk when you don't feel like talking. Get up when you want to rest and only rest when you NEED to rest. Don't stop working until they send for the paddy-wagon. Stay. Stay. Stay.

Rageddy Anne

Feb 21, 2013
Cotswolds
THANKYOU Norrms, your spirit and your words are an inspiration to so many of us.

Alone in the empty garden the other day, this came to me...my husband's away having a break so that I can rest for a bit, and I was remembering a family party we had a few years ago.

The garden's full of ghosts
whispy laughter from the past,
and just out of sight are loved ones
Whose shadows still linger and last.

The garden remembers the sunshine
A circle of chairs still waits
The past has gone from your memory
But the garden will never erase.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members