Mental health nursing team - antipsychotics - stressfull

terry999

Mar 27, 2008
london
Hi

Its been a very stressfull last fortnight. My mother hasn't really been the cause but the wheels of care have sprung into action.

I should be gratefull, as I asked for help and am getting it. However I've found it more stressfull dealing with DSS and esp. Mental health team.

Mum has a carer for one hour a day so far, not that she does much but its difficult for the carer - still early days. I hope when she settles in she will be able to help my mum wash.

Because of my Mum's wandering she has been prescribed antipsychotics (Amisulpride 50mg daily). She still wants to go out but now gets more tired easily. However I reported that she got really angry an hour after taking the new medicine twice. The Doctor (not her GP) increased the dose to 100mg, I find this odd.
Its 12 days now she has taken the 50mg and only day on 100mg. She has got v.angry with my wife a couple of times and she has never done before - or is it my wife has radical new hair-style and she doesn't recognise her?

What I find odd is the M.H.T visit every day, always someone different and in pairs to introduce a new member of the team. To see if she has taken the medicine. I find this stressfull as they might say we will be there at 2pm but turn up 1.30-2.30 all the time I'm trying to keep my mum in. Then they try and get mum to take the tablet. Mum doesn't like all these people coming round.

It just seems too fishy! With Aricipt (about a year) and now 2 doses of 50mg its much harder to get her to take them and I'm not sure if they are benefiting her? One day I think so the other not.

However, its the wrong attitude I know but I feel I'm in a war with them and they will win as there are more of them. It was supposed to make my life easier but now I don't have any mornings to work from home as I'll have to meet social worker/Admiral nurses (only once to be fair) and mental health team ringing daily.

My gut reaction is they must be paid if they visit and my mum is an easy visit. Sometimes when they are "ganging up" on her to take the tablet and patronising me - I really want to kick them out of the house, mum would probably enjoy this :). I'll be honest and I'm struggling not to lose my temper with them.

The only think stopping me is that one day I might need their help - section possibly.

Anybody have experience with this drug? I'm sure it varries person to person.

On the other stuff its just good to get it off my chest.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Terry.

I don`t think it`s a case of being bullied. My husband has just started taking Amisulpiride and it has to be monitored very carefully to get the dose just right.

I was told it is a brilliant drug but very powerful and acts very quickly. The affect it has depends on the individual, taking all contributing factors into account.

Sadly my husband is on an assessment ward whilst he is assessed and observed. I wish he could be monitored at home as your mother is, but it`s not to be for us.

Why on earth do you feel at war with the MHT? They are only trying to modify your mother`s behavviour and if successful will benefit everyone.

terry999

Mar 27, 2008
london
I wish I didn't feel this way.

I was expecting it to be an upheval but not this much. My mum lives by herself. She only goes out in the afternoon so far - wandering is the biggest issue. Previously the mornings were the time I would do my work. I will go around from 12-2 and stay until dark.

I wish it would modify her behaviour, so far its made her more tired - a good thing. But not sure its been responsible for these v.angry spells.

I suppose I see them as doing v.little when they are monitoring her; they stay a short time cause disruption and as the personel change are their observations on someone they don't know valid? On the other hand how can you get to know someone without visitng them. Its only been 2 weeks so all of the team will get to know her soon - or I will be committed to an institution.

Its just they rub me up the wrong way with their patronising attitude except for one who has alot of common sense (on holiday). When they try and get my mum to take the pill (now pills) they "gang up" on her and she will be in a bad mood afterwards.

TinaT

Sep 27, 2006
Costa Blanca Spain
It is so hard to have people coming and going in your own house. And even harder not to resent them. I had the most wonderful carer coming in to help wash and dress Ken etc. He arrived on the dot at 7.30am which was far too early for me (but not for Ken as he was up and wandering long before then).

I really hated the intrusion on my life with so many different agencies coming to the house. We had the admiral nurse oce a week, a physiotherapist every other day, a chiropodist every two months, peoplecoming to set up direct payments, carers assessments, social workers - it went on and on for months

We also had Richard the care worker arriving daily. However as I got to know Richard and he got to know us, things did settle. I started to lay Ken's clothes out in another room, stay in bed and let him get on with his job. I slowly accepted that the carer could do things for us, even give Ken his medication and started to let him take the lead in caring for Ken. After all, that was what he was employed to do.

Could you start to take more of a backseat and see how the carers get on If you have another room, perhaps you could leave them to get on with the caring and you do your own work away from them. It is never easy starting a new routine, especially in your own home. Give it a little time to see if it will work for you. Not much I can say about the 'army' of other professions who arrive in a steady stream, except that they were truely coming to help us and I had to give them the time and hospitality they needed to do their job.

xxTinaT

terry999

Mar 27, 2008
london
Point taken Tina, I've adopted this approach with the carer. I do go into a room and let her get on with it. Its difficult for her new house etc and my mum doesn't except her help. Its early days and even if limited what she can do NOW, I want mum to get used to her so that when things deterioate it will be easier for mum. If anything this illness has made my mum easier to deal with!

The M.H.T wouldn't know tact if you hit them over the head with it. There is one on holiday at the moment who is v.good and can read the signs my mum gives out.

My mother is italian, and will talk italian most of the time however if we can get her to talk English and most importantly I reply in English she will converse eventually - afterall her Eng. vocab is far larger. Imagine my annoyance when the MHT Doctor who prescribed the new drug, after I had explained this to her kept on switching to Spanglish/pseudo-Italian because she "loved the lang"; and of course confused the hell out of my mum. She just undid the work the nurse (she'll be back from holiday soon I hope) had done in stearing mum's replies into English.

I wasn't amused when Doc found it funny that mum had managed to travel and get lost on the other side of London in a v.dodgy area. I would expect a lay person to find it funny, afterall it is in a way - but not someone who should know the stress and anxiety it causes.

I have 2 relatives with mental health issues so no stranger to these "professionals". Also 2 friends; one an OT and the other manager of HR at a Health authority. In our view its a London thing, we might have the resources etc but the quality of the people in Health-care compared to the rest of the country is not good.

Still good to get off my chest here.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello Terry

Just keep getting it all off your chest here and hopefully you will find it easier to cope with the disruption you find at your mother`s.

The assessment ward my husband is on is very good but even there mistakes are made. When my husband was being particularly difficult one day the nurse in charge spoke to him very slowly, very deliberately and very loudly. And I suppose it could be seen as patronizing.
My husband said `I am not deaf, I am not blind and I am not daft. Don`t speak to me like that.`
And the nurse apologized.

WE know those we care for intimately, know their peculiarities, what they respond to and how they react.
The medics have the professional knowledge and although some are definitely better than others, we have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

I`m really sorry you are struggling so much with the dissatisfaction you feel. Dementia is a cruel condition and will be affecting you as much as it affects your mother.

My husband feels I am leaving him on the ward to rot. The medication for his behaviour and his diabetes has to balance, before his behaviour calms down. It is not an easy task.

I do hope things get better for you and your mother.

Love xx

hendy

Feb 20, 2008
West Yorkshire
Dear Terry
Sorry that you're having a rough time gettimg mum sorted. We're all in the same boat one way or another. Its so hard to try and build up a relationship with the professionals. Some are brillant and some are awful! We could all tell some horror stories! Its annoying to have to deal with them at all, but we have to find our own way of getting on with them. Some are a necessary evil(SW's are my pet hate)Some of the worst attitudes I have seen have been from OT's(another pet hate, would not trust another one). My sisters, who hardly visit Dad, are both health professionals themselves, doesnt seem to give them much in the way of compassion! However I can say, that I also have had some fantastic help along the way( Dad has too), at times when I have needed it most. Hope things become a little easier to handle.
take care
hendy

EllieS

Aug 23, 2005
SOMERSET
Trust has to be earned

Hi Terry

I thought it was important to maintain some consistency for the dementia patient and aim to have the same people visit whenever possible.

Your mother is the most important person in this and you are 2nd in importance - the 'professionals' are the ones who should be trying to gain both Mum and your trust.

I agree with you that they shouldn't be ganging up on Mum to take medication - they should be using their skills and gently persuading her to do this.

Have you managed to find the time to sit down and discuss your concerns with them - it's in their interests that you're all working together for your Mum. If Mum's settled it's a success for them and you can thank them rather than curse them!

It's not easy but you do need them on your side if possible.

Try not to screw yourself up, stay calm and I'm sure you'll get this current situation under some kind of control.

Be good to yourself.

Ellie

terry999

Mar 27, 2008
london
EllieS (Hendy) - I agree thats why I got it off my chest here rather than with them - need them on my side.

Things will get worse and I don't intend to burn my bridges.

The "good un" came back from holiday and visited - much better.

If there is a good thing about this illness is that mum forgets why she was angry quickly. If no-go leave it for a while and try again. The lady who came back understands this.

With someone who doesn't communicate verbally you gotta read body lang. Obviously easier for me as I know her

Margaret W

Apr 28, 2007
North Derbyshire
Hi Terry, just reading through the recent posts, and replying to some with advice, and others am not replying cos they are out of my depth, but landed on yours and just felt you needed a bit of support. I am not going to offer you a hug, cos I don't do hugs, just to say you are clearly doing your best, things are not going smoothly, but stick in there and get it done in a way that is right. It's hard work, pat yourself on the back now and again.

Sorry, no use at all to you.

Best wishes

Margaret