Mental capacity assessment for COP3

Hereabout

Dec 3, 2014
Apparently I need a new mental capacity assessment for my wife who has late stage Alzheimers because I need to apply for Deputyship for property and financial affairs. I am told that this is not an nhs service but must be paid for privately. Heavens knows why when she already has one in connection with deprivation of liberties but that won’t do, I have to have another done! Does anyone know what the fee for this is likely to be please?

I need this to raise some finance on a lifetime mortgage to pay off some debts. We jointly own our home. The lifetime mortgage company require me to apply for Deputyship and a new trustee to enable me do this.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Not all GPs will do this. Mums GP just sent the form back with the note that they "dont do this"
I eventually got mums social worker to fill it in and she didnt charge me.

DeMartin

Jul 4, 2017
Kent
Apparently I need a new mental capacity assessment for my wife who has late stage Alzheimers because I need to apply for Deputyship for property and financial affairs. I am told that this is not an nhs service but must be paid for privately. Heavens knows why when she already has one in connection with deprivation of liberties but that won’t do, I have to have another done! Does anyone know what the fee for this is likely to be please?

I need this to raise some finance on a lifetime mortgage to pay off some debts. We jointly own our home. The lifetime mortgage company require me to apply for Deputyship and a new trustee to enable me do this.
You do know it will take over 6 months to get deputyship, I’m 10 months into it. Can be expedited if person considered terminally ill.

Hereabout

Dec 3, 2014
I was lucky, the care home mum was in was 100 feet from GP surgery and manager of care home organised it

The Barnsley Nursing Home my wife is in, is just a few hundred metres from the GP surgery. I asked the Nursing Home manager if he could fill it in for me as he is also a nurse and it has taken him a month to refuse. I have spoken again to the GP surgery to be told they don’t do such things any more. I have made it plain I don’t mind paying for this.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Can be expedited if person considered terminally ill.

No, but an interim order can be applied for once the main application has been made.
https://www.gov.uk/emergency-court-of-protection
It is free and typically used to enable funds for care to be released.

In your case you require it to get equity release on a jointly owned property.
Equity release can be complicated at the best of times, I'm not sure whether the LA would include your wife's share as available capital in any financial assessment although I suspect they would.
Take informed legal advice.

Thanks it turns out my wife’s GP in Barnsley don’t do this! Appalling

Capacity is the ability to take a certain action at a certain time and can vary with time.
Some GPs are reluctant to certify for fear of becoming involved in a contentious court case possibly involving a consultant with a different opinion.

Last edited:

Molly1

Oct 2, 2017
I have just had a mental capacity report done for my mum, it cost £180. Social worker said her boss wouldn’t allow her to do it. A consultant at the hospital who had just diagnosed my mum with dementia wouldn’t do it. One of the nurses at the hospital gave me a doctors number who was a consultant in old age psychiatry who rang me and did it for £180.

Hereabout

Dec 3, 2014
You do know it will take over 6 months to get deputyship, I’m 10 months into it. Can be expedited if person considered terminally ill.

I can understand that if a distant relative or friend seeks Deputyship for someone then that would need special scrutiny. I have been married to my wife for nearly half a century, I am the beneficiary in her will and we are not divorced or separated. It should be a formality, hopefully.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pescobar