Menopause and Early Onset Alzheimers

carli1987

Apr 7, 2015
So, my mother is 54 and was diagnosed with Early onset Alzheimers two years ago and showing symptoms for the past four years. Her mother was diagnosed when she was 47 years of age and my grand-father registered his interest in Dementia research where my grand-mother went through a number of testing to establish that her Alzheimers was caused by a rare genetic mutation.

Moving on, Although on medication my mother's symptoms seem to be getting significantly worse and rapidly. Also, recently she has started getting severe hot sweats, to a point where her clothes and hair are soaked. She is pre-menopausal...could she be going through her menopause? Could it be this enhancing her symptoms?

Can anyone shed any light if they have any experience with this matter, before I take her to the Dr.

Thank you in advance

Carli xx

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
I wouldn't wait for others I would take her to the GP now. Dementia is bad enough without putting up with other symptoms.

lin1

Jan 14, 2010
East Kent
Hi. I agree I wouldn't wait for others.
I am no medic but it does sound to me that mum is now going through the Menopause .
Such severe hot sweats are awful to go through.
It would be wise to visit the GP their are meds that can help ease such severe symptoms.

Last edited:

Dazmum

Jul 10, 2011
Horsham, West Sussex
Being menopausal myself, before a hot flush I get a feeling of anxiety as well, almost as a warning, which I can only imagine could feel worse with the Alzheimer's. I would go to the GP to see what can be offered to help. It could well be that HRT would be prescribed depending on her medical history.

carli1987

Apr 7, 2015
Thank you for your replies.

I am taking Mum to the Dr's in the morning, hopefully we can get this sorted. She definitely has anxiety before and during the hot flushes. I am just hoping they can give her the HRT with the medication she is already on.