MemRabel 2 Memory Prompt Calendar Clock

RBDansk100

Oct 7, 2020
Has anybody used this.? Thinking of using for my 93 year old Mum. Be grateful for any information. Dennis.

Rosettastone57

Oct 27, 2016
Welcome to the forum. I have no personal experience of this clock, but how effective it is will depend on how advanced the dementia is . My mother in law had a clock which showed her the days ,but as the disease progressed, she lost the initiative and capacity to even look at it. Even if it had had some sort of alarm she would have ignored it or forgotten why the alarm was there.

Kazzab

Aug 17, 2020
Hi
I bought my Mum a chalk board which we write on every day so she can see at a glance what day it is and what she is doing each day. It seems to help at the moment, but obviously someone has to update it each day.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
These sort of things are useful in the early stages, but there comes a time when all the dementia clocks, alarms, whiteboards, post-it notes and laminated notices do not make a jot of difference as they are all ignored.

When that time comes, what they need is an actual person there telling them things.

Jaded'n'faded

Jan 23, 2019
High Peak
Also, the person needs to be able to understand what they are seeing. My mum lost the ability to tell the time, but more importantly, time had no meaning for her anymore. I got her a digital clock and she could see that it said, for example, 2.30 pm. She'd then ask if that was 2 in the morning or in the afternoon. Darkness or daylight made no difference - she just couldn't understand what time meant anymore.

She dismantled and broke (beyond repair) a couple of little clocks I bought her.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I have got one.
As a day clock it is simply beautiful, nice size clear display, mum still uses it.
I have used the reminders but don’t bother now.
The reminders I used were ‘are the doors and windows closed’
Have you taken your medication.
your favourite tv programme is in five minutes!
They were permanent reminders.
I remember reading that one old lady who was resistant to taking her medication loved Sean connory. The family got someone to fake his voice for the reminder, and when he told her to take the tablets she always obeyed!
You get a picture flash up as well.
Criticism . Compared to her Alexa echo show it is more difficult to programme new reminders.
I have not regretted buying one.

The technology that no one else seems to use and is my Best Buy by far is my YI camera.
I love that camera. It is ridiculously cheap on Amazon. No subscription but you need broadband. When mum didn’t pick up the phone earlier today a was able to confirm via the YI that she had been walking around ( so was safe and well)

Dimpsy

Sep 2, 2019
My mum has one in her room; nope - never looks at it for the day or time!
I would say that her dementia is too advanced for her to look and registerthe time of day, except, every morning she puts on her wristwatch and uses that for time telling!

However, it beams a beautiful blue light which is bright enough at night to see the 'living room' part of her room, enough to steer her by. That and the plug in night lights mean she can see the way to her bathroom.

MartinWL

Jun 12, 2020
London
I got one for my father a while back and it has proved useful. Without it he wouldn't know what day of the week it was.

lollyc

Sep 9, 2020
I bought a Talking Button Clock, and a keyfob version, which I put on a lanyard round Mum's neck. They are primarily for the visually impaired, I think. The clock is a large white button, about the size of half a tennis ball. With both you press once for the time, twice for the date and day, but no other options. The voice is loud and clear. Of course, not every PWD will understand how to work them, but luckily Mum has (for now, at least). Bonus is they are cheap - £10 ish for keyfob, £15 for clock, when I got them a couple of years ago. It has, for the most part, stopped the "Is it Monday? Tuesday? Wednesday? etc."!