Memory Walk 2007 - Haringey Branch

Pat1066

Sep 25, 2007
London
Hi All :)

On Sunday 23rd September, I did the 'Memory Walk' at Alexandra Palace park, in Wood Green. There were people there from all ages and backgrounds there. It was a lovely day, the weather did look like it was going to rain, but the sun shone for us all day. We wore bright yellow sashes with the words ' Memory Walk' on them.

Britt Ekland (who was married to Peter Sellers) was also there. I had no idea that she'd be there and that she is also a Patron of the Alzheimer's Society. She did a speech about trying to raise awareness of AD, as her Mother also died of AD in 2005. She joined us in the walking, along with her little dog.The local press was there too taking pictures.

We set off walking about 11.30am and finished mid afternoon. At the end of the day, we released yellow and blue balloons with the words 'Memory Walk' on them into the open air. We were all presented with a 'Memory Walk' certificate. That day we had raised over £350.

After the event had finished I went to see my Dad who also has AD and showed him my certificate. He read out loud the word 'Congratulations' which was on the certificate, not sure if he understood it, but it felt great showing it to him.

I've never done anything like this before and I'll definitely do it again, I totally enjoyed it.

Pat.

Canadian Joanne

Apr 8, 2005
Toronto, Canada
Hi Pat,
Sounds like you had a fabulous day. I've done one walk here but it was much lower key - no celebrities I'm afraid. But celebrities are good - they get the press out & the more publicity the better.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Well done Pat. The best bit must have been your father reading your certificate.

Congratulations

Pat1066

Sep 25, 2007
London
Absolutely! Seeing him reading it and smiling, made me so happy. :)

Grannie G said:
Well done Pat. The best bit must have been your father reading your certificate.

Congratulations

Pat1066

Sep 25, 2007
London
Had a fabulous day. Britt Ekland was very nice and down to earth. :)

Canadian Joanne said:
Hi Pat,
Sounds like you had a fabulous day. I've done one walk here but it was much lower key - no celebrities I'm afraid. But celebrities are good - they get the press out & the more publicity the better.

my little girl

Aug 23, 2007
Burnley
I did the memory walk - just me and my little boy in memory of my Grandma. We raised £227.

It was a lovely day - just a walk around our local park but we let off a balloon with "Memory Walk" on it at the end. Unfortunately there wasn't the wind to "take it up to Great Grandma" like I told my son we were doing and some ignorant man told me to "take my litter home". Spoilt the day somewhat although I just ignored him. Not sure what others think but a balloon is not major litter in my opinion - the wind will eventually carry it away.

If my 23 month old son had not been there I may have told the individual exactly what I thought of him but my son is at a very impressionable age.

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Oh Dear, some people are so ignorant.

I wonder how he would have felt if he knew your story. I hope he would have wanted to run away and hide in his hole.

But we`ll never know................:mad:

Pat1066

Sep 25, 2007
London
Hi MLG :)

It's was nice to hear that you and your son did the 'Memory Walk' in memory of your Grandma. The Haringey Branch also had families doing the walk too, spanning from all generations.

We too had issues when it came to releasing the balloons, as the organisers were told that it was classed as litter. So we had to go back to Campsbourne school, where the walk had started, and were only allowed to release a certain amount of balloons into the open air.

Pat.

my little girl said:
I did the memory walk - just me and my little boy in memory of my Grandma. We raised £227.

It was a lovely day - just a walk around our local park but we let off a balloon with "Memory Walk" on it at the end. Unfortunately there wasn't the wind to "take it up to Great Grandma" like I told my son we were doing and some ignorant man told me to "take my litter home". Spoilt the day somewhat although I just ignored him. Not sure what others think but a balloon is not major litter in my opinion - the wind will eventually carry it away.

If my 23 month old son had not been there I may have told the individual exactly what I thought of him but my son is at a very impressionable age.