Memory test results & changing meds

claire83

Jan 11, 2015
Can anyone give me some info on the memory test? My dad has had alzheimers for the last few years & he goes to see a dementia dr every 6 months or so. He has been on the same tablet since diagnosis & his results have been stable sitting about 25/24. We were advised that the tablets usually stop working from about a year to 18 months & since about June we have seen a big decline with his memory, communication and reading ( its actually been quite scary seeing how quickly it has happened)! He went for his review last week and scored 17. My mum knew he was getting worse but I dont think she quite expected that much of a change & he had no idea at all that he was worse & was absolutely devestated when the dr told him the results! What I was wondering is does anyone have an idea of the scale. Would 17 be classed still as early stages alzheimers & how low do people in late stages get? My mum never thought to ask the dr these questions as the pair of them were just in shock! The dr is changing my dad from the tablets & on to the patches. Can anyone tell me how people have got on with these? Thanks for your help!

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
My husband was on Exelon patches (I assume these are what you mean? It's Rivastigmine) at the higher dose for several years - until he died last year. He was left on them more for their side affect of calming his agitation than for any affect it would have on his cognitive function, as his consultant felt it was too late to try and slow the disease - usually if medication is to slow progress of the illness (and it doesn't, always) it will only do so if the illness is caught early.

Peirre

Aug 26, 2015
After diagnosis in Jan 14 my dads score was around 23, then last year my dads score levelled off at around 15-18 for around a year, then recently he was retested, knowing there was a marked decline I was expecting around >10, but was taken a back when told his score is 5. With him still fuctioning normally in daily life, with the decline. It was decided to leave him on his current medicine regime. With advice that the decline will accelerate with time

claire83

Jan 11, 2015
Thank you for the info! LadyA Im sorry to hear about your husband. Yes that is the patches my dad has been put on & he is to go back in 2 months to see how he gets on with these. We are still at the stage the dr is trying to slow it down so fingers crossed this will work!

claire83

Jan 11, 2015
Peirre thank you for telling me about your dad & what his results have been. We had no idea of what the numbers meant & roughly of what stage he was at. I cant believe how quick the decline happens! I think we must have been quite lucky for it to have been slowed by the tablets for the last few years.

Peirre

Aug 26, 2015
Prior to the official diagnosis (he was tested in sept of 2013), we suspected there was something not right for the previous year 2012-13. So he had a head start so to speak. AFAIK the "scores" are out of 30.
He still tries to, and i help him to, maintain a normal life. Inc going to the local pub to see his friends but in doing so we try to control things so that any risk is minimised.
But after the last test I was told the tablets have gone as far as they can and their effect is now negligible. Which goes hand in hand with some other changes that have occurred Inc occasional bladder Incontinence

Last edited:

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
Memory test results & changing meds

On diagnosis, OH was regularly scoring 29 or 30. He never went below 28. Then he wasn't tested for several years until he was far advanced. Whilst he wasn't given the whole test the only thing he knew was that I was his wife. When he was asked my name he gave the full name, at which I said 'you haven't called me that since the day we got married' . As that question doesn't come up, I am sure he would have scored 0.
He was on donepezil, until about 3 months before he died. Once given in middle stages only ( it is meant to prolong each stage). I seem to remember reading that it can be useful in all stages.

Last edited:

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
Also, my husband's consultant said that the usual memory tests used can be "skewed " by the person's starting intellectual and educational level. My husband continued to score very high on the tests until he was well into the moderate stage of the illness. Then there appeared to be quite a sudden drop.