memory problems

Old John

Jun 14, 2019
I an getting very worried about my memory. This take the form of not being able to remember name of places people or things or unable to think of a word that says exactly what I want to say when in conversation or explaining something to someone. This put me into a state of panic and when I am like that its just no good trying to think. Sometimes I can think of the word later when I am more relaxed but not always.. Im not too bad at crosswords ( the easy coffee break ones) but often I find the answers by thinking how words are constructed rather than knowing the answer, My spelling has also deteriorated I have had to take some time on this entry rereading it through and correcting it. I am 80 years old and 81 this year . Is this normal at my age or am I starting to get some form of dementia.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Old John, and welcome to the forum. You have come to the right place for information and support.

The best thing to do in this situation is have a chat with your GP. Many treatable conditions, such as depression, stress, thyroid problems, vitamin deficiencies etc., can cause dementia like symptoms so it's important to have a check-up. Please don't cause additional stress by jumping to the immediate conclusion that it's dementia. On the other hand, if it is dementia then a diagnosis may open up support for you. Any tests done will let you know if it's simply age related issues that you are experiencing - we all have 'senior' moments.

Here is a link to a Society Fact sheet about the diagnosis issue. Just click the second line to read or print the document

Assessment and diagnosis (426)
PDF printable version

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

silversea2020

May 12, 2019
I think ....as I’ve read before on this forum, it’s very difficult for anyone to advise as we’re not medics but definitely go talk to your GP about your worries who will refer you to a Neurologist if it’s felt necessary - I’m sure your GP will prove a good source for reassurance and will have been asked before about such concerns. Do let us know how you get on

Grannie G

Volunteer Moderator
Apr 3, 2006
Kent
Hello @Old John. Welcome to Talking Point.

There is a difference between age related memory loss and dementia as I`m sure you know.

There is also the fact that stress, tension and worry can have an adverse effect on memory loss.

I understand your worries. I`m 77 and occasionally have memory lapses and word finding difficulties but I know I have nothing to worry about.

Please do as the previous two posts advise and seek the advice of your GP. I hope they will be able to put your mind at rest and once the stress has been relieved you will feel much better.

Please stay in contact with Talking Point. There is lots of support and understanding here for you.

Old John

Jun 14, 2019
Thank for your replies, its really feels good to be able to express ones concerns in this way. I will definitely mention this to my GP on my next visit and let you know the outcome if any..