Memory Problems/Risperidone..

deedee26

Oct 5, 2021
How do you help an elderly relative with a fading memory? My 81-year-old mum has been on Risperidone for nearly 5 years. She has a monthly visit from a psychiatric nurse. Recently mum came out of hospital, a community nurse came to visit mum and phoned me to ask if mum had problems with her memory. I replied yes. The psychiatric nurse has not noticed this, and even though I've mentioned it, nothing happens. I have mentioned that maybe the long term use of Risperidone is not helping mum. I am told mum is on this medication for life. The problem is she never gets her medication reviewed. Whoever I speak to, will not give me an answer. I realise that health services are overstretched. Just wondering has anybody else had problems with Risperidone.

silkiest

Feb 9, 2017
Hi @deedee26, as risperidone is not a treatment for dementia a lot of people here will not have had experience of it. One of the side effects can be loss of concentration and because of this it is not advised for use with people with dementia.
If it was my mum I would be talking to the GP about her memory loss and any other symptoms - obviously this could be dementia but there are other health problems such as thyroid problems, diabetes and depression that can cause temporary memory problems. Her GP should investigate for the other possible causes and if they are all negative then she should be referred to the memory clinic for a full assessment.

taliahad

Nov 22, 2021
My mum's been on Risperidone for the past six months, she has moderately severe dementia She was prescribed this because we could not cope with her anger and aggression. To our family, Risperidone has been a God send, I couldn't have gone on caring for mum without it. I have not noticed any particular decline in her memory since she started taking it, aside from the expected effect of the dementia effecting her mentally and old age affecting her physically. Why was your mother prescribed Risperidone in the first place?

deedee26

Oct 5, 2021
Hi. Mum was prescribed Risperidone because she was imaging voices. It got so bad that she was sectioned and spent 6 weeks in a hospital. This was 5 years ago. I have noticed particularly over the past 8 months that mums memory has been declining, she has no interest in anything, has problems walking and now forgetting to take her medication. I've spoken to her healthcare visitor and doctor but nothing happens. They seem to gloss over my concerns. I think mum is trying to hide her feelings and carry on as if everything is normal. I just what a diagnoise. 5 years on Risperidone with no follow up from a psychiatrist isn't right.