Memory lapses!

Jeanie 73

Apr 20, 2013
N Lincolnshire
Some three years on from diagnosis and eight years from beginning with Alzheimers,according to memory clinic, I find myself having more incidents of not recognising, say a program on TV, thinking I have not seen it,but by perhaps the end realise that I have, and possibly more than once!
I am also not able to remember the end of of a program I have watched recently. One instance is Downton Abbey, had completely forgotten the last 15/20 minutes of it! Only realised when I argued about something towards the end,of it with my daughter and watched the repeat.
Since being on EBIXA things had improved immensely, but recently I seem to be slipping back, I have had incidents of not recognising a familiar dog,my daughters greyhound even though she has had him almost five years, and I see him everyday.
Is this the beginning of the end?
I am one of those with Alzheimers who is very aware of what is happening to me, I have done everything possible to make things easier for family when I no longer have that ability. My daughter has access to my bank account via an arrangement,with the bank,my will is done and my funeral arranged and paid for so I don't have to worry about those things and nor do they.
Long ago I decided I would not look back at what I can't do, but forward too what I can!
I still fret that have I done enough?? I suppose that is something we all do!

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Hello Jeanie , my husband is the same, very aware of his Alzheimers. He is in his 6 th year now . He watches programs too and forgets he watch them but remembers at the end. We too concentrate on what we can do rather then what we can't :) He can get very frustrated with struggling to find the right words too and his ability to read and write are reduced. We still have lots of lovely days and enjoy each other's company. He was on Memantine too but it was awful, made him drowsy and slow . He is on Rivastigmine now and his tests score on Memantine was only 14 but now is 20 . Perhaps a change in medication would help? Especially if you feel it's not working so much anymore . Lots of hugs xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

Jeanie 73

Apr 20, 2013
N Lincolnshire
Thanks so much for replying, yes all those things are also happening to me,but also tell myself, "there will be good/ better days"❤️

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Thanks so much for replying, yes all those things are also happening to me,but also tell myself, "there will be good/ better days"❤️

There definitely will be :) plz don't get too upset as that put more pressure on yourself . Just go with the flow and make the best of the good days , as there are so many still and wave the bad ones away. Our admiral nurse always says she wishes John would not be so aware but we are coping real well most of the time :) thinking of you xxxxx

Kathyms

Jan 5, 2016
Memory loss

After being diagnosed over a year ago I notice things going down hill. I tend to only watch the soaps now and last week I was talking to my daughter in law about eastenders she mentioned a part of it, but got totally confused, got all the soaps mixed up and even now I can't remember what happened. I watched them tonight but at half 9pm most have gone.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
After being diagnosed over a year ago I notice things going down hill. I tend to only watch the soaps now and last week I was talking to my daughter in law about eastenders she mentioned a part of it, but got totally confused, got all the soaps mixed up and even now I can't remember what happened. I watched them tonight but at half 9pm most have gone.

Hello you, sorry to hear of your struggle . Have you considered changing your medication as sometimes it's so effective? Plz don't get frustrated ( I know easier said then done) but it can put you under so much pressure. Lots of hugs to you xx

Irishgirl57

Jan 21, 2014
Florida, USA
I know how hard and frustrating this is. I can totally relate.... Keep sharing because it helps us that are going thru similar things(((hugs)))))

LoisJean

Jan 11, 2016
Northeast Lower Michigan, USA
Hi, Jeanie!

My short term memory is poor these days. It seems I'm often writing notes to remind myself of just about everything. Interestingly, I have great recall for tv shows, movies and so on which is amazing considering I never used to have any decent recall for those things. My ability to verbalize is declining and my ability to decipher numbers is greatly increased. This to me is curious since until a year ago I excelled in verbal communication and was quite inhibited in mathematics. For instance, when counting up gin rummy points, I no longer need my fingers to count on-- yet when trying to verbalize a sentence, some of the words will not move from my brain to my mouth and so my conversations are stunted with long pauses until I can insert a word that works. Just now the writing of this last sentence took bit of an effort to construct. I am praying for brevity!

I am just now getting my affairs in order...I'm grateful that there aren't a lot of them. And you are so right in that I wonder, too, if I will have all my loose ends tied up when the time comes. I'm not sure what the later stages of vascular dementia are..I haven't gotten that far in my research, nor is my doctor too forthcoming about it...so far, I am untreated, (except for several suppliments that seem to help quite a bit), and feel that I'm 'waving in the breeze'. I'm hoping to find a neurologist sooner rather than later.

I appreciate your words about looking to what you can do..I am really trying to keep focused on that, too. But I do fret! Sometimes a lot. I have read that fretting is just another symptom of dementia. I like to think so.

Thank you for your presence here, Jeanie-- I need all the help I can get and you've helped me today. Peace, LoisJean

LoisJean

Jan 11, 2016
Northeast Lower Michigan, USA

Kathy, your post reminds me that while I can remember the substance of a show I watched, more often I confuse when I saw the show. Sometimes it seems I watched a show yesterday when actually it was last week. This was made aware to me when I called a friend a couple of weeks ago to tell them about "last nights Downton Abby" only to have my friend say, "But, that one was on LAST Sunday". This happens with quite a few other things, too, leaving me confused and somewhat disoriented. Strange stuff!

Thanks for your post, Kathy ..it's so good to know that it's not just me. I'm here for you, too. Peace, LoisJean

Jeanie 73

Apr 20, 2013
N Lincolnshire
Thanks for replies,always good to read or hear of others and how they cope. Afraid I forgot I wrote this! but better late than never,as they say.
I have been to memory clinic since,I wrote this,there were the usual test,pictures, a name and address to try and remember etc. Actually got same score as last time, but lots more questions regards daily living,and that has shown the Alzheimers is progressing,but no real surprise there.
It may be something or nothing, but I am on EBIXA while it took a while before my body accepted it,it made a world of difference to how I was eventually! I remember getting pains in the left side of my head, as EBIXA is the only drug I can have for it,persevered and just told myself it showed they were working,pains did eventually go. They are now back,not so severe and mostly at night, think perhaps the Alzheimers is fighting it's way back down the paths the EBIXA cleared,bit like a battle going on in my head!
Anyway grateful for the times I've had, and sure there will more good days as weather improves!
Afraid I am no good with numbers now, and rely on predictive text on my IPad for being able too write this and anything else I write,can no longer hand write any thing,but considering how bad I was before the EBIXA things ain't so bad now.
Lots of love to all xxxxxx

shelagh

Sep 28, 2009
Staffordshire
Me too.

Hello Jeannie, your post speaks for me. I have been diagnosed 6 years and am really noticing the decline now. Like you my affairs are all in order as far as they can be and I try to do as much as I can. An avid reader all my life I now find audio books easier, but everyday something, several things happen that show me the decline. Memory clinic put me onto Momentin (think that's how you spell it as well as Exelon patches and then two together have lifted some of my fretting but everyone reacts differently to drugs don't they.
At least we are in this together and I can't belief how ,much it helps.
Shelagh

Smiling Nana

Jan 31, 2016
Kent
Early Onset Alzheimer's

Hi Jeanie and other respondents. I am 58 now and have been having memory problems for approx 18 years. I decided at age 39 to talk to my Gp, he was ok but would not consider Alzheimer's. The following years were terrible, memory getting worse, depression, anxiety and worry. Eventually I asked for a referral. So at the age of 51 I was finally referred to my local memory clinic where I had a barrage of tests over the next 7 years and finally I hadmy diagnosis in Dec 2015.
I totally understand how you feel, the worry for the future, the declining memory and family. I can say honestly that the best way to look at the illness is to be positive and take it head on. Don't be afraid for the future but look at now and enjoy each and every day. I found that I needed to tell my family so they would understand the reason for the changes in me. For example playing charades which I would enjoy became a terrifying experience until I explained my illness. I am on a tablet now donperizol or something lol.
I have good days and bad days and yes I sometimes think is this the beginning of the end BUT I find something to distract me and push those thoughts far far away.
All I can say is try very very hard to live now and make the best of how you are. Keep telling yourself that you are ok, you can still enjoy life after diagnosis. And....although we all kind of know the outcome, it is much further down the line, not worth wasting today on and you can still enjoy life to the best of your ability.
Keep smiling, talking and enjoying life.
Love & best wishes ❤️

Last edited:

Smiling Nana

Jan 31, 2016
Kent
Hi
What type of dementia did you get diagnosed with? Did you have a Pet Scan to rule out Alzheimers?

Hi Aprilbday, not sure if you are asking me this question but here is my answer:

I have been diagnosed with Early Onset Altzeimers Disease and I have had the SPECT test which showed up no abnormality. I have had numerous MRI scans.
I was relieved to get the diagnosis due to the length of time I have had these memory issues. I am unable to work due to this and several other health issues.

aprilbday

Jan 27, 2016
Washington, DC USA
Wow! Fascinating! I too had a "normal" PET scan but I have alarming short term memory problems! I am totally surprised that you got that diagnosis!!! And I am terribly sorry for you too. I thought I was free and clear in terms of Alzheimer's!!! They need a better test. Read my post on Dementia looks like this when you get a chance. Thank you so much for telling me this information.

Jeanie 73

Apr 20, 2013
N Lincolnshire
I have other health problems that will affect my Alzheimers should I go for tests,that may involve anaesthetic. I cancelled as feel it's best I leave anything that may affect how long I will remain knowing my Daughter and carer.plus other family and friends.
I have got it.in my head that I don't want to go beyond not knowing them! That is the line I draw for me!
I am well aware when I don't recognise somethings or someone,I know when it's best I don't go out on my own. Does anyone else remember the time when they didn't know where they were ? My memory is as if I was looking at a sepia photo,a still that I don't recognise!
I feel the need to talk to my Doctor and explain how I feel, what is going on in my head,afraid he may be angry I didn't attend clinic,but did inform them I was not attending!
I,find any situation that is causing stress makes my Alzheimers so much worse!
Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble xxxx

BillBRNC

Jan 26, 2016
USA NC
Learned something new. I thought that person who has symptoms of Alz had to have the Alz changes on their PET scan, since the PET scan changes start well before the symptoms start. At least that is what I thought was the case. So, am I reading this topic correctly. Is it possible to have a normal PET scan and still have Alz? Just wondering. Thanks.

chick1962

Apr 3, 2014
near Folkestone
Bill
Please explain! You are frightening me! My pet Scan was normal. I thought I was in the clear for Az!?

Hiya Arilbday don't be frightened my lovely . Az is not detectable on pet scans hence the doctors take their time in diagnosing it. Pet scans are only part of the extensive tests . Only when all the tests are done including memory tests will consultants make diagnosis . My husband has AZ for 6 years now and it has been very stable . I believe getting early medication has helped such a great deal .. There are so many other reasons for symptoms so try not to worry . Big hugs xxx