Memory comes and goes

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
Funny thing happened, last night when I called her, she said she had gone to see a neighbour,
Which one?
Ginny, well she came to see me with some shortbread.
So you didn't go out?
No. But I wrote a thank you letter to Ginny saying thank you for the tablet, gave it to Dist Nurse to give to Ginny. But realised I had written tablet instead of short bread. But then I'm entitled to do that since I am losing my mind.

How do you answer that? Please?

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Funny thing happened, last night when I called her, she said she had gone to see a neighbour,
Which one?
Ginny, well she came to see me with some shortbread.
So you didn't go out?
No. But I wrote a thank you letter to Ginny saying thank you for the tablet, gave it to Dist Nurse to give to Ginny. But realised I had written tablet instead of short bread. But then I'm entitled to do that since I am losing my mind.

How do you answer that? Please?

I think it depends on how your Mum's state of mind appears to be. If she's distressed I would perhaps say 'I'm sorry you are upset' (acknowledge her feelings) 'Let's have a cuppa'-or anything to distract. If she isn't upset but laughing at herself just keep the lighthearted moment going by not making a big thing of it.

It's so difficult isn't it? I sometimes think the worse stage is when people have insight into their condition

Love

Lyn T XX

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
What I maybe failed to mention too, was lasttime I went down she didn't want to go to Tesco's she wasn't properly dressed. last night she pleaded like a small child, "Can we go to Tesco's?"
I said yes we'll go, and her reply was goodie goodie.

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
I think it depends on how your Mum's state of mind appears to be. If she's distressed I would perhaps say 'I'm sorry you are upset' (acknowledge her feelings) 'Let's have a cuppa'-or anything to distract. If she isn't upset but laughing at herself just keep the lighthearted moment going by not making a big thing of it.

It's so difficult isn't it? I sometimes think the worse stage is when people have insight into their condition

Love

Lyn T XX
Thank you lyn
what I did say to her, and she loves tablet (re another thread about sweetness) that we would go and get some, and I suppose if she had tablet block in her mind, then shortbread probably looks like a tablet block

LYN T

Aug 30, 2012
Brixham Devon
Thank you lyn
what I did say to her, and she loves tablet (re another thread about sweetness) that we would go and get some, and I suppose if she had tablet block in her mind, then shortbread probably looks like a tablet block

Well done Patsy, it seems like you have a lot of insight into your Mum's condition. IMO completely the right response.

Take care,

Lyn T XX

patsy56

Jan 14, 2015
Fife Scotland
Well done Patsy, it seems like you have a lot of insight into your Mum's condition. IMO completely the right response.

Take care,

Lyn T XX

thank you lyn, but it has only since I have found this forum/site that I have been able to understand more. To understand things, to put in prosective

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
I think it's one of those Scottish things....Izzy will know!

It's a bar of complete sweetness! My dad used to make it. It's far too sweet for me. Needless to say Bill likes it. Just to confuse me they called it toffee in the school I worked in in Aberdeen. They definitely meant tablet! It looks like fudge but tastes different.

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1139650/scottish-tablet

image.jpg