Memory Clinic

jrich

Mar 26, 2014
Northamptonshire
I am very confused my mum had her first visit from the memory clinic they were lovely people and made mum feel at ease but I am the one who is confused and doesnt know what to do.My mum lives in her flat which she loves and wants to stay in as long as possible, the lady from the clinic suggested that mum needed to go for a ct scan but mum said she didnt want to go.The lady said it would be better if she did they mught be able to give her medication to prolong her memory loss therefore be able to stop in her flat longer which sounded good to me but she did say there could be possible side effects to the medication which I didnt like the sound of. I am very confused dont know if I should try and persuade mum to go for a ct scan or not plus I dont like the idea of her getting side effects from tbe medication.Sorry for waffling on just dont know what to do.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
Any side effects may not be permanent and will go if medication stopped. There is more than one medication to try.

The scan will rule out uncommon nasties like a brain tumour and help to distinguish between vascular and other types of dementia. It will also provide a datum to enable the extent of any future progression.

Last edited:

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
My husband may have been lucky but none of his medication gave him any side effects. Medication can be changed and no one can be made to continue taking medication where the side effects out weigh the help. The only medication we stopped for my husband was one that was making no difference at all to him so pointless him having it. Our doctor agreed.

Jay