Memory clinic visiting MIL's house

rebeccalou88

Oct 26, 2018
Hi,

I'm not sure if anyone will know the answer to this but thought I'd ask anyway. We've been worried about my MILs memory for a couple of years now and finally convinced her to go to her GP. She's been to the memoy clinic and they referred her for an MRI scan. They've called and said they are coming to visit her at home to discuss her results. This to me sounds like bad news. Has anyone experienced similar?

Rebecca

Kevinl

Aug 24, 2013
Salford
Hi and welcome to TP
The memory clinic used to do home visits for my mum as she had mobility issues so they came out every 6 months to see her at my house for her check ups.
I don't know there's any policy of giving bad news at home, my wife was given her diagnosis in the memory clinic by the consultant, home visits are usually done by the nurses and I would have though that a diagnosis would be given by a consultant who's in a better position to answer any questions you have.
K

try again

Jun 21, 2018
My mum had her memory clinic appointment a few weeks ago and we were told that the next one would be him coming to her house, so we will have to see. It may be usual or may be there are pretty sure of the outcome?

Duggies-girl

Sep 6, 2017
Hi @rebeccalou88 yes the memory clinic visited my dad a number of times. The first time they did the tests and the second time they gave us the results. Told dad straight to his face but in a very nice manner that he has alzheimers and dad accepted it very well. As soon as she had gone dad said that they don't know what they are talking about and his memory is normal for someone of his age.

He was told the same thing when we visited the memory clinic by the consultant when they prescribed his drug. Same reaction as before, he accepted it but later said it was rubbish. He does take the memory pill but he does not have dementia in any shape or form.

I hae read other posts similar so yes they will probably give her the diagnosis and she will probably accept it then deny it afterwards. I think there is some kind of requirement to give the patient their diagnosis nowadays. A right to know I think. Don't worry too much about it because once diagnosed you will have a better idea of where to go from there and they may prescribe the drug which may or may not help.

Lynmax

Nov 1, 2016
My mum had her initial tests at home then after a scan and blood test the consultant came to her house with the results. He asked mum to make him a cup of tea as an excuse to get her to leave the room so he could speak privately to me and my sister. He told us that she did have early signs of Alzheimer's and asked us what outcomes we wanted from the meeting. We said that we wanted mum to give up driving and arrange LPAs, which she had been discussing but not not being very proactive. He was very good with mum and after discussing the diagnosis he then told her that she had to stop driving as her GP would be contacting the dvla - she handed over her car keys to me immediately and told me to sell her car! He then advised her about the benefits of having an LPA and within a week we were at her solicitors! I was so grateful to have his support at that time.

Sirena

Feb 27, 2018
My mother was visited at home regularly by the CPN from the memory clinic who did her initial diagnosis, although she only saw the consultant at the clinic. Individual memory clinics seem to have different ways of doing things, I wouldn't at all see this as indicative of that the news is any worse than it would be with a clinic appointment.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anita1968