Memory clinic tests

Mango1

Feb 26, 2021
Hi, my mother in law has had an ACE111 66/100 global loss result. What does this mean? It also states vascular dementia and depression and chronic small vessel disease. The test was taken 2 months ago, will there be another one ? We have seen a decline since this test was taken. She does very little for herself, step by step instructions needed for basic self care needs, inhibitions have gone, and left to her own devices made herself a meal with dog food. Any advice for going forward appreciated!

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hello @Mango1 you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help answering your questions as well as with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done. There is also a Dementia Guide in the list.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
Hi @Mango1 and welcome to DTP

The cut off score for the ACEiii is 82, so a score of 66 is definitely low. Between this and a scan showing small vessel disease a diagnosis of dementia has been made - small vessel disease is often an accompanying factor in vascular dementia; the small blood vessels in the brain harden and sort of "fur up" so it is harder for oxygen to get to the brain.

The best thing to do now is contact your GP and ask for a Needs Assessment from Social Services. It sounds like your mum could do with some help in washing, dressing and making a meal. You could also try and arrange for Meals on Wheels (or whatever they are called now) to deliver a hot meal to her that she doesnt need to cook herself. Your MIL might also benefit from Day Care, once restrictions are lifted and that is something else SS can organise.

Mango1

Feb 26, 2021
Hi, so are you saying it is low so not so bad, or it is bad? She refuses all help apart from us because it is free . She doesn't get dressed very often, most days in bed, only eating snacks out of a packet such as crisps. She claims she can't taste food but is a heavy chain smoker, smoking in bed as well. Fire services have supplied bedding, bucket and alarms which is slightly reassuring but still....... . The relationship between mother and son isn't the best (he is extreme critically vulnerable) and she has only just allowed me in the house in recent weeks, which is very neglected. I have had to deal with badly soiled piles of clothing, bedding, and layers of filth. If I add here, over 20 years of being thought very little off and no interest in her family and now feeling like I am being pushed into caring for her, does make it difficult. I want the best outcome for her as becoming vulnerable, and she needs to be safe warm and fed nutritious meals (tried, she prefers a cigarette and coffee) . She does have meal replacement drinks now from the GP as underweight. Needs help to remember medication which often is found on the floor, another worry as caught her dog trying to eat them. She shows no interest in walking the dog or picking up his mess when he is kept in too long. So you can imagine the mess at times. I am trying to do regular walks of him which is a pleasant aspect, and we did get him to a groomers as he was so matted up. But at what point do we think of removing him and how do we introduce the idea his welfare is a concern. Happy to adopt him so he could visit her. I feel a bit put upon though, assumptions that I will be the carer, when even her son has said I am not. I have my own mum, and two teenagers and their needs, as well as husband who is ill. How do I say no without compromising her needs?

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
I would act quickly to get the powers of attorneys signed, if you don’t already have them. Life without a POA can be very difficult. They really are very important.

I would take the poor dog now, you don’t need the worry of finding it dead from an overdose?

I will give to a link to compassionate communication. The message of it is that you don’t always win by telling someone with dementia the truth.
So an example would be to say ‘ the dog has an upset tummy and I am taking it home for a few days to recover’. Then in a few days when she wants it back say ‘ it can’t come home because Sally is coming to see it next Monday ‘. Or it’s tummy isn’t right, it needs to stay with me for another fortnight’ you keep this going into the future, if you run out of ideas just start a new post. I can think of ‘kick the can along the road’ excuses that last until the cows come home.

What you don’t say is ‘ you can no longer look after the dog so it is being taken away’ as then she will become obsessed about keeping it at any costs!

Mango1

Feb 26, 2021
Thank you. Yes I read about people saying the dog went to the vets, and then the dog died but I can not do that, she loves the dog, just neglect his needs as much as her own. It's like she said he wont walk to the end of the short street, he doesn't like it. I think he just sensed she couldn't so would turn back with her. Over the last month and since being welfare groomed he has slimmed down a little, and runs around playing ball, having fun, found his bark in play and is beginning to let me belly rub him! He is a delight but forgotten his basic training. He is having fun being a dog, splashing in puddles etc, and feel bad leaving him there over night. But then I think at least he will bark hopefully if she needs help AND may make her get up for his needs like feeding . At least with him there is a purpose to her day although she isn't using it. It is a worry, on top of everything else!

Sarasa

Volunteer Host
Apr 13, 2018
Nottinghamshire
Hi @Mango1, and welcome to Dementia Talking Point. This is a very friendly place and you'll get lots of support here
Do you have Lasting Power of Attorney that @Weasell ? If you don't, it might be worth trying to get that sorted so that you can manage your mother in law's finances and welfare. She just needs to be able to understand it in the moment what she is signing. If you think she wouldn't be able to do that you can apply to become a deputy, but that is more complicated to set up. I managed to get my mother to agree to power of attorney and it was extremely useful when she needed to move into care and I had to sell her flat. My sister in law is currently sorting out deputyship for her mother and it is taking ages compared to sorting out the POA.
I'd also contact social services for a needs assessment You mentioned not wanting to be sucked in to being her carer so I would try and get some help coming in sorted, otherwise you'll be left to get on with looking after your MiL by yourself.
Keep posting as this is a great place to let of steam as well as well as getting advice.

Weasell

Oct 21, 2019
Thank you. Yes I read about people saying the dog went to the vets, and then the dog died but I can not do that, she loves the dog, just neglect his needs as much as her own. It's like she said he wont walk to the end of the short street, he doesn't like it. I think he just sensed she couldn't so would turn back with her. Over the last month and since being welfare groomed he has slimmed down a little, and runs around playing ball, having fun, found his bark in play and is beginning to let me belly rub him! He is a delight but forgotten his basic training. He is having fun being a dog, splashing in puddles etc, and feel bad leaving him there over night. But then I think at least he will bark hopefully if she needs help AND may make her get up for his needs like feeding . At least with him there is a purpose to her day although she isn't using it. It is a worry, on top of everything else!
Has she got a ‘carelink’ pendant.
It would hang round her neck and allow her to summon help if she pressed the button?

PJ

Jan 26, 2017
Bristol
Hello @Mango1 you are welcome here and I hope you find the forum to be a friendly and supportive place.

I hope you have time to take a good look around the site as it is a goldmine for information. When I first joined I read old threads for information but then found the AS Publications list and the page where a post code search can be done to check for support services in ones own area. If you are interested in these, clicking the following links will take you there

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/get-support/publications-factsheets-full-list

https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/find-support-near-you

You will see that there are Factsheets that will help answering your questions as well as with things like getting care needs assessments, deciding the level of care required and sorting out useful things like Wills, Power of Attorney etc., if any of that hasn't already been done. There is also a Dementia Guide in the list.

Now that you have found us I hope you will keep posting as the membership has vast collective knowledge and experience.
Hi Pete
Sorry but I just saw your name and I’m sure you were my friend when I first joined talking point?
How are you and your wife doing? I hope all is good.

karaokePete

Jul 23, 2017
N Ireland
Hi Pete
Sorry but I just saw your name and I’m sure you were my friend when I first joined talking point?
Hello @PJ

Yes, I'm that friend.

We just take each day as it comes and are doing OK much of the time.

I do wonder how you are doing now and again so I hope things are OK with you and your husband and that you are both getting some support.

Tricot

Jun 20, 2017
France
Hi Pete
Hello PJ
Perhaps you remember me too? I've started visiting talking point again quite often and have been looking out for you. I often wonder how you are. We both joined about the same time. I hope you're doing ok. My husband died nearly a year ago and things have become more difficult.
Sorry to jump onto Mango's thread. I was just very pleased to see you PJ and wish you all the best. xxx