Memory Clinic referrals

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
My OH been waiting awhile now and I been in contact with GP surgery to ask about the waiting times ,so the Surgery tried to contact the clinic but clinic have not returned there Emails or phone calls, so where does it leaves us- seems like to look like the list is going down they simply ignore the referral's

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
My OH is still at work and struggling- having many memory and speaking problems -he said he find when he don't get instructions or requests right- he says that his managers tend to speak loudly at him thinking the louder they speak the more he can take in and understand, what a mistake ? though I find I do this myself too ---------- anyone else experience this too

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
OH reeved a phone call today from Alzheimer's Connect after GPs Referral,, nice young lady spoke to OH and stated they will be dong a home visit
Could anyone explain what will happen and so on the day of visit

Pork Pie lady

Mar 16, 2013
Anglia
I found that the memory clinic was not at all helpful. My husband went once, they talked to us together then with my husband on his own. They then brought him out to me and told us in the corridor with other people around that he would be referred for a brain scan. When the result came through he was sent a letter with the diagnosis in medical speak. The same letter discharged him from the clinic and we have never had any contact with them since. In 11 years we have only seen a psychiatrist 3 times. They didn't have a clue about how to treat people.

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
Thankyou "pork pie lady " yes its all very frustrating --- all we want is a diagnoses so we can what little help available, will not be entitled to PIP and Dwp has husband is only 63 , so we mostly will have to face it alone apart from the odd telephone call and person saying "O I am so sorry " perhaps many on here have the same experiences its a fact then me and OH will take it has it comes rain or shine alone

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
you can get PIP because hes working age. you cant get attendance allowance until he is of retiring age
I read many experiences on line is that if your partner can walk and feed himself - then PIP is difficult to get- but until we get a diagnoses its doubly difficult .

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
I read many experiences on line is that if your partner can walk and feed himself - then PIP is difficult to get- but until we get a diagnoses its doubly difficult .
i get PIP, not for dementia but for mental health problems and mobility problems. i am also my husbands sole carer[he gets attendance allowance as 19 yrs older than me.] i have limited mobility due to chronic pain. i do use a mobility scooter which i can take on the bus with a concessionary disabled bus pass. maybe ask age uk about it and help filling in forms. i had a welfare rights from council do both forms and he could use the right words to mean more to the dwp.

canary

Feb 25, 2014
South coast
will not be entitled to PIP and Dwp has husband is only 63
As your husband is still of working age, he should be eligible for PIP - it is not means tested and you do not have to have a diagnosis to claim this.
I would contact Age UK to help you fill in the forms as they know the right way to do it and how to phrase things properly.

Desperatejan23

Dec 27, 2021
Hi Mikeb2, I would definitely apply for PIP on his behalf. I was turned down the first time- I have found out since that most are, but asked for a mandatory reconsideration and my husband was awarded it. I spoke to Citizens advice when I was turned down and they composed a letter, e-mailed it to me for my husband to sign and for me to post. They were great. It has taken a lot of the financial worries off my shoulders. If your husband has to give up working he could apply for ESA, which pays your stamp too. He would get this until he's pension age. I also have been granted a Carers allowance, since my husband was awarded PIP, as I look after him for more than 35 hours a week. It takes a while for PIP to go through, but worth it if you get it. Always think of his worst days when answering questions about his condition. My husband is able to wash, dress and eat etc., but what I hadn't realised, until someone pointed it out to me on this forum, was how much prompting I do. If I didn't prompt him, then he wouldn't think to have a shower for instance or have something to eat. My husband hasn't had a diagnosis, he's been to the memory clinic - 4 months ago- but hasn't had the follow up appointment through yet. ? Good luck.

Sammie234

Oct 7, 2016
Shropshire
Thankyou "pork pie lady " yes its all very frustrating --- all we want is a diagnoses so we can what little help available, will not be entitled to PIP and Dwp has husband is only 63 , so we mostly will have to face it alone apart from the odd telephone call and person saying "O I am so sorry " perhaps many on here have the same experiences its a fact then me and OH will take it has it comes rain or shine alone
My oh was in the same situation he was still in work when diagnoses went through same age as well. DWP not helpful kept saying he was capable enough to do some type of work. So we lived of sickpay and put through for his work pension which he eventually got later that year he retired before retirement age. It was a good firm though and he’d been with for 47 years. When he got to retirement I put in for attendance allowance which we got and a smaller council tax because he was classed as having a mental health problem, though they keep coming back each year to check in their words if he’s any better. As though you get better ! Best of luck going forward I hope you can get some help with PIP though because otherwise it’s a struggle.

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
thankyou Sammie234- Im only to aware that's the responses I will get- of cause we will try or these financial help but expect to get very little what

Im am curios about Is his DR referred my OH to Dementia connect but several months latter heard nothing and the website info stated should had received contact within week or two, for advice /help,
is this normal two , WE have to contact them ourselves then not to sure what they do to help, stated we get a home visit when again not sure, like some info to explain or others experience on this

Sammie234

Oct 7, 2016
Shropshire
thankyou Sammie234- Im only to aware that's the responses I will get- of cause we will try or these financial help but expect to get very little what

Im am curios about Is his DR referred my OH to Dementia connect but several months latter heard nothing and the website info stated should had received contact within week or two, for advice /help,
is this normal two , WE have to contact them ourselves then not to sure what they do to help, stated we get a home visit when again not sure, like some info to explain or others experience on this
Sorry I’ve never heard of them perhaps have a Google and check them out ?

jennifer1967

Mar 15, 2020
Southampton
i found them invaluable. they are an one person resource. they know about all the services that may help, benefits on where to go for help, legalities eg power of attorney[doesnt have to be ill at all] they can refer, liaise with other services including gp and about other organisations, charities eg carers org. it saves having to do it all yourself and are very supportive.

Pejic

Jul 2, 2022
mikeb2 has your OH been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease? If he has, my understanding is that he should be prescribed some medication as soon as possible. Apparently there is not a national policy, in my health area the memory clinic prescribe and monitor the medicine, but I believe it is normally the GP who prescribes (I do not know who monitors it then).

As far as advice and support is concerned, as far as I understand it the health authority may delegate this, in my case I have had excellent help and support from an "Admiral Nurse" and an Alzheimer Society nurse.

As far as the home visits are concerned they seem to me to be casual and easy going, though they probably have a list of things to be covered.

Best of luck, I have found it very difficult to get any technical information about the disease, though the Alzheimer's society publish (free of charge) a wide range of information booklets about dealing with it (go to Home, above)

Last edited:

Dunroamin

May 5, 2019
UK
Best of luck, I have found it very difficult to get any technical information about the disease, though the Alzheimer's society publish (free of charge) a wide range of information booklets about dealing with it (go to Home, above)
You may find this helpful. I am part of a multigenerational household of medics but my OH has absolutely no medical knowledge at all He found this free online course invaluable.

Pejic

Jul 2, 2022
You may find this helpful. I am part of a multigenerational household of medics but my OH has absolutely no medical knowledge at all He found this free online course invaluable.

Thankyou Dunroamin, I've enrolled for the next iteration (3rd February 2023)

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee

I did that course some time ago when I was caring for my husband. I found it really helpful.

mikeb2

May 17, 2022
OH now been waiting for an appointment for memory clinic or Hospital appointment for 4 months now and not a whisper- concerning
Than I read an piece on waiting times from this Alzheimer's society and it mentioned suffers having to wait up to 2 years for diagnosis - surely this is not acceptable waiting times

Pejic

Jul 2, 2022
No it is not acceptable, especially as the NHS emphasises the benefits of early medication; it was this emphasis that concerned me in my 12 month wait for a prescription. Does your Health Authority have a PALS or Advocacy service who could stir up some action for your OH.