Memory Cafe's.

CeeJ

Nov 4, 2015
Alfreton
My husband is newly diagnosed with Alzheimers. We were given a leaflet with details of memory cafe's where we could meet & chat to others. I think the next one near us is next week. I intend to go with him even though he doesn't really seem interested.

What I wondered was, do any members on here go to a 'memory café' with their partner and do you do any other sort of activity/meeting that you can attend together.

I have also seen details of 'Singing for the memory' but he's never did like singing so that's out!

I am very keen on us doing things/going places together where hopefully we can meet & chat to others in the same situation.

Izzy

Volunteer Moderator
Aug 31, 2003
Dundee
We go to a memory cafe together. It's called D-Caff. It p's on the second and last Tuesdays if the month. On the last Tuesday there's a football memories group during it. The men tend to go through there and the ladies chat. On the second Tuesday we're all together and they have games out for those who want them - eg indoor curling.

The other activity we enjoy weekly is our Total Recall choir for people with dementia and their carers. We love it but singing isn't for you!

Bill also goes to an art class called Heart for Art. It's for him really but I go along and enjoy the chat and home baking.

balloo

Sep 21, 2013
northamptonshire
My husband is newly diagnosed with Alzheimers. We were given a leaflet with details of memory cafe's where we could meet & chat to others. I think the next one near us is next week. I intend to go with him even though he doesn't really seem interested.

What I wondered was, do any members on here go to a 'memory café' with their partner and do you do any other sort of activity/meeting that you can attend together.

I have also seen details of 'Singing for the memory' but he's never did like singing so that's out!

I am very keen on us doing things/going places together where hopefully we can meet & chat to others in the same situation.

i took my MIL to one local to us but they have now changed the time so we cannot go so we go out to luch or for a coffee at least once a week .this week i took her to our local italian i had been before and explained the situation they did not blink and eye when i had to cut her food up. she enjoyed the background music as well .only 1 other table as it was lunch time so was quite .food was fantasic

marionq

Apr 24, 2013
Scotland
Even though he is not a singer I would go once or twice just to see how it works. I would never have guessed that we would enjoy it so much and in fact we are going today. The singing is such fun but making contacts with staff and others is just as important and you find out all sorts of info. I urge you to try. A tea and biscuit can't hurt either!

Over the last three years since diagnosis we have done singing, football memories, memory walks, allotments - there are also film days, bowling etc. The big advantage is that getting used to these groups makes it easier when day care is needed.

John goes to daycare now without question because he has become used to it not just being about the two of us on our own.

Trisha4

Jan 16, 2014
Yorkshire

We went to a memory cafe fairly soon after my husband's diagnosis of Alzheimer's. I found it really helpful. I was signposted to a 4 session course on caring for someone with dementia which was excellent. It was really helpful for me to meet other carers as well as the person from Alzheimer's society.
However it wasn't such a good experience for my husband as he was probably still in the early stages and the other folk with dementia were further along on the journey. So we didn't go again.
We moved house in August and I am actually planning to take him to the local Alzheimer's cafe next week as he has probably moved into middle stage so I think it might be a more positive experience for both of us.
My husband has also never been in to singing although I know others find singing for the brain really beneficial.
I hope you have a good visit. Let's share news afterwards.

Sent from my iPad using Talking Point

Casbow

Sep 3, 2013
Colchester
CeeJ

We go to singing for the brain once a fortnight. We have made lovely friends and it is great to have people in the same situation to talk to. Apart from that there are volunteers and also representatives of Alzheimers to chat to and lend an ear to our problems, point us towards help if needed. My husband talks to other people who have dementia and the conversations are often very strange or even funny. Coffee cafe is also very good but like singing for the brain they must all vary from one place to the next. Both are highly recommended by me.