Memory cafes? time for a rethink ?

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Hiya all, its with such relief we are opening our memory café up again after a very long 18 months of closure due to Covid, but the time closed has made me think. It’s a well-known fact that we opened ours all those years ago because we were disillusioned how another dementia charity was operating theirs by only allowing those with a diagnosis to attend. We thought this intolerable as it didn’t include those who just had cognitive problems or who were simply worried about getting the disease. I like to think over the years we have been proved right as we do “Allegedly “ run one of the most successful memory cafes in South Devon because of our approach of “ ALL ARE WELCOMED”

The reason we do this are many, but the main one is that our Motto is..

“Inclusion and Engagement for All “

And by this, we mean not only those who have dementia, but also those who have a loved one with it/ family member/ friend or even those who are worried about it which I know includes many people, but my point is if we dont open our doors to all, share our literature, give advice and help those who are worried about it, and let’s be honest who isn’t, then who does? As a predominantly dementia charity is it not our duty?, to help all with whatever connection to it, even if it's only inquiries? Of course, it is! It is also our duty to help all those who are lonely and feel isolated as well ?> as even though I know of no scientific research that says so for definite, it is highly regarded that loneliness can bring on dementia.

So I believe we are ALL responsible for looking after all those who have spent many years looking after us in their time of need, even if it means them having a good old knees-up every Saturday afternoon at our memory café, dementia or not. Covid has shown us how many vulnerable people are out there and its now out time to act.

so my message to all memory cafes out there are YRES please keep the name memory café but please make sure they are open and welcome to all who need whatever help at whatever time, after all

"A MEMORY CAFE IS NOT THERE BECAUSE YOU'RE LOSING YOUR MEMORY

IT`S THERE TO HELP YOU REMEMBER THOSE MEMORIES YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN "

nae sporran

Oct 29, 2014
Bristol
Good to see your memory cafe is re-opening, Norrms. I am reliably informed that most of the ones in Bristol are still working on risk assessment with a view to opening in the autumn. I am not too sure about turning them all into larger community clubs though, as the music memories monthly meeting we used to go to did that and most people with dementia, including my partner, stopped going as it became a bit too boisterous and busy. I do hope that lunch clubs and other places will open again soon.
Good luck with it.

Hiya all, its with such relief we are opening our memory café up again after a very long 18 months of closure due to Covid, but the time closed has made me think. It’s a well-known fact that we opened ours all those years ago because we were disillusioned how another dementia charity was operating theirs by only allowing those with a diagnosis to attend. We thought this intolerable as it didn’t include those who just had cognitive problems or who were simply worried about getting the disease. I like to think over the years we have been proved right as we do “Allegedly “ run one of the most successful memory cafes in South Devon because of our approach of “ ALL ARE WELCOMED”

The reason we do this are many, but the main one is that our Motto is..

“Inclusion and Engagement for All “

And by this, we mean not only those who have dementia, but also those who have a loved one with it/ family member/ friend or even those who are worried about it which I know includes many people, but my point is if we dont open our doors to all, share our literature, give advice and help those who are worried about it, and let’s be honest who isn’t, then who does? As a predominantly dementia charity is it not our duty?, to help all with whatever connection to it, even if it's only inquiries? Of course, it is! It is also our duty to help all those who are lonely and feel isolated as well ?> as even though I know of no scientific research that says so for definite, it is highly regarded that loneliness can bring on dementia.

So I believe we are ALL responsible for looking after all those who have spent many years looking after us in their time of need, even if it means them having a good old knees-up every Saturday afternoon at our memory café, dementia or not. Covid has shown us how many vulnerable people are out there and its now out time to act.

so my message to all memory cafes out there are YRES please keep the name memory café but please make sure they are open and welcome to all who need whatever help at whatever time, after all

"A MEMORY CAFE IS NOT THERE BECAUSE YOU'RE LOSING YOUR MEMORY

IT`S THERE TO HELP YOU REMEMBER THOSE MEMORIES YOU HAVE FORGOTTEN "
In my opinion, you need to decide the main function of your café. Is it to be a social group for carers? - often a daunting ordeal for those of us who are living with dementia to sit through while people tell their harrowing stories and we sit largely unnoticed. Or is at to provide activities and peer-to -peer meeting for people living with a diagnosis of dementia?

Footfall isn't everything. Indeed, many of us who are living with dementia find that we experience sensory overload in noisy, crowded spaces.

yosser

Nov 12, 2020
Shenley Brook End Milton Keynes
In my opinion, you need to decide the main function of your café. Is it to be a social group for carers? - often a daunting ordeal for those of us who are living with dementia to sit through while people tell their harrowing stories and we sit largely unnoticed. Or is at to provide activities and peer-to -peer meeting for people living with a diagnosis of dementia?

Footfall isn't everything. Indeed, many of us who are living with dementia find that we experience sensory overload in noisy, crowded spaces.
Well said from someone who suffers with dementia.:oops:??

WJG

Sep 13, 2020
There can be an inherent tension between the needs of us wonky brained people, and the people who care for us and need to moan about their lot.
There is also a need to consider the term ‘memory cafe’. I have Alzheimer’s, but I don’t have memory issues. Would I be welcome?