memory cafe sucess

Norrms

Feb 19, 2009
Torquay Devon
Good morning all, late start but i hope fully understandable !!LOLL The best time was had yesterday at the new memory cafe and as you can see by some of the pictures posted my friends have posted we played some great games..

We played "Play your cards right " Where the first game all the "LARGE" cards came out in the right order !! So funny !! Then we shuffled the cards LOLL The second game we played is "Questions on a beach ball" which is a great "Inclusion game" Its a beach ball with lots of questions on it like, whats your fave hobby? whats your fave sport ? Fave film etc and you throw it to people from table to table, it went down so well. We also put 5 mins in of explaining where the information table was, what it was there for and why two lovely police ladies where in attendance !! (they advised on neighbourhood watch, safety at home and any other worries local residents have.

Then, one of our volunteers filled 12 yoghurt pots with different fragrances, covered it with foil and made small hole in the top, placed one on each table and asked all 12 teams to try and figure out what it was ?? then of course came our Singalong provided by the wonderfully talented Peter Dell and before you knew it, the two hours had flown by!!

For future weeks we have the Parachute game (another great inclusion game). Word Games and quizzes, board games, Skittles, jenga and the likes and so much to look forward to. If any body else wants to set a Purple Angel memory cafe up (And i do know of at least two ore where this is happening THANK YOU SO MUCH, please contact me by sending a private message. As for Elaine and i ? We are chilling today LOLL have a great day xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Attachments

• 100_3862.JPG
    100_3862.JPG
    103.5 KB · Views: 424
  • Play your cards right.jpg
    Play your cards right.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 375
  • Cutting the cake .jpg
    Cutting the cake .jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 451
  • beach ball game .jpg
    beach ball game .jpg
    81 KB · Views: 415
Last edited by a moderator:

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
Hi Norrms your post has encouraged me to have a look at Memory Cafes in our area. Thanks very much for the lovely photos: it all looks great fun.

BeckyJan

Nov 28, 2005
Derbyshire
It is worth you looking into it Grey Lad. Most branches of the Alzheimer's Society have them. In Derbyshire we went to several, either as general get togethers, pub lunches or informative meetings. We made many friends that way and it was helpful to both my husband and myself as carer.

I hope you can find some in your area.

Grey Lad

Sep 12, 2014
North East Lincs
It is worth you looking into it Grey Lad. Most branches of the Alzheimer's Society have them. In Derbyshire we went to several, either as general get togethers, pub lunches or informative meetings. We made many friends that way and it was helpful to both my husband and myself as carer.

I hope you can find some in your area.

The only problem is Maureen is still in denial about her memory problems. In addition a Care Coordinator from the Memory Service said he understood where she was coming from with her reluctance to join in groups of any sort. I think my Cunning Plan will be to 'sell it' as part of my voluntary work for Dementia Engagement: that might just do the trick.:)

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jonathan95