Memory Book for mum

cebhh

May 2, 2014
Something my mum said a while back got me thinking. She said she couldn't remember what her mother looked like, and was quite upset about that.

I decided to create a family memory book for her and over a couple of months trolled thro hundreds (thousands really..!) of photos and put these together in chronological order, going back to the earliest pictures I could find of her and her whole family, my dad, their wedding, friends, our baby pictures, etc etc all family events, right up to the present day with her great grandchildren.

It took a while to do, not denying that, but it was definitely worth while and also will be something for our grandkids to look back on in the future, when they grow up.
I also put text beside each picture saying who was in each one and when/why it was taken so it helps her put into context. I also wrote it from her perspective ie my mum and dad, my grandchildren etc... My husband got it printed via the on line photo book shop.

I gave it to her and she loved it. when she is having a bad day, I remind her to look at the book and it gives her something to focus on... she also then remembers stories about things going back many many years (even tho she cant remember something 5 mins ago..)
It also gives her carers something to chat about if she is having an off day.

Might be an idea for others to try ?

Lucy44

Jul 12, 2014
Something my mum said a while back got me thinking. She said she couldn't remember what her mother looked like, and was quite upset about that.

I decided to create a family memory book for her and over a couple of months trolled thro hundreds (thousands really..!) of photos and put these together in chronological order, going back to the earliest pictures I could find of her and her whole family, my dad, their wedding, friends, our baby pictures, etc etc all family events, right up to the present day with her great grandchildren.

It took a while to do, not denying that, but it was definitely worth while and also will be something for our grandkids to look back on in the future, when they grow up.
I also put text beside each picture saying who was in each one and when/why it was taken so it helps her put into context. I also wrote it from her perspective ie my mum and dad, my grandchildren etc... My husband got it printed via the on line photo book shop.

I gave it to her and she loved it. when she is having a bad day, I remind her to look at the book and it gives her something to focus on... she also then remembers stories about things going back many many years (even tho she cant remember something 5 mins ago..)
It also gives her carers something to chat about if she is having an off day.

Might be an idea for others to try ?

That sounds like a fantastic idea and so thoughtful of you. I'm going to follow suit

jaymor

Jul 14, 2006
South Staffordshire
Memory books are great, they are lovely to make and wonderful to look at.

I made one for my husband when he was first diagnosed 9 years ago. I had no photos of my husband before we met so it began with our meeting. He looked at the book regularly over the 7 years he was at home and he took it yo the nursing with him 2 years ago.

The staff loved it as they saw his life, his family and friends and his home and all the work he had done on it. I think it is good for them to see the person before dementia. I will be updating it soon as our 5th grandchild is due this month. The carers sit with him and show him the book but sadly he no longer shows any interest.

Hibni

Sep 16, 2013
We made an online photo album for my Mum's 90th birthday a few weeks ago. We wondered what her reaction would be, but she loved it. It involved a lot of scanning but was worth it. My OH has done a lot of family tree research so we included a family tree as well.

Mum's AD is still mild (although diagnosed 3 yrs ago) so she is able to remember most of the people and places in the album.

LadyA

Oct 19, 2009
Ireland
I did one for my husband a few years ago. I'm his second wife, and 30 years his junior - so it was really interesting for me to do, pics from the 1930s and 40s! He loved it too- and added odd things to it himself - a peacock feather someone sent him. A hard pretzel(! - and it's still there, glued in!:D) a feather from one of our chickens, stuff like that. I had written some text explaining each picture I had put in - and he tried to write a bit too, but he couldn't write coherently by that stage, so it's a bit interesting! But never mind - he enjoys it.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I made one for my husband starting with him as a baby and his then house. Writing for each photo was in the first person. It took months to do and became quite expensive as I photocopied everything but used photo paper and best photo option with the printing. It was worth it though even though my husband was unable to take much notice of it as it' s a lovely record of his life for our grandchildren.
I intend to make one for myself - one day!

Sent from my iPod touch using Talking Point mobile app

Rettaere

Sep 30, 2014
Liverpool
Thank you.You have gave me a wonderful idea for my Aunts 80th birthday in November.I have all her photos and can make a wonderful memory album for her.I done one for my brothers 40th as he had no photos in Ireland with him.Memories are so precious x

Sent from my iPhone using Talking Point

jeany123

Mar 24, 2012
Durham
I did one for my husband when he was in a CH temporarily and he wasn't in the slightest interested he wouldn't let me leave it there and I had to bring it home, but he has since come home and enjoyed looking through it.

Onlyme

Apr 5, 2010
UK
Mum looked at it, told she had seen those photos and to take it away. I tried again but Mum saw it as something she had to remember and it didn't have any relevance to her made up own life history.

The only thing I would say is make copies and use those just in case the book gets ripped up.

Saffie

Mar 26, 2011
Near Southampton
I agree. I didn't put any original photos in at all. I also used an album with 12" x 12" clear pockets for which you can buy extra packs of pockets to add on.

Sent from my iPod touch using Talking Point mobile app

Lottie134

Jun 8, 2013
I did one for MIL. it was a great success & the NH staff have loved going through it with her. They've asked me to make another one. Think they've become bored with the first one. :)