Memantine

Maldives13

Feb 4, 2014
Hi everyone.
Haven't posted for a while. Mum has been in a care home now for over 18 months - that's a different story - not sure I will ever get over that dark hole!

But anyway my 88 year old father in law has just been diagnosed with Lewy Bodies! He is at home with his wife and although a little forgetful they are managing perfectly well at the minute.

His doctor has suggested memantine and I just wonder if anyone knows how good/bad it is? I will be grateful for any advice and many thanks in advance.

JigJog

Nov 6, 2013
Hi everyone.
Haven't posted for a while. Mum has been in a care home now for over 18 months - that's a different story - not sure I will ever get over that dark hole!

But anyway my 88 year old father in law has just been diagnosed with Lewy Bodies! He is at home with his wife and although a little forgetful they are managing perfectly well at the minute.

His doctor has suggested memantine and I just wonder if anyone knows how good/bad it is? I will be grateful for any advice and many thanks in advance.

My husband was put on Memantine just over 3 years ago. He responded to it quickly and I honestly believe that it has given us 3 good years.

The doctor said that it would help to stabilise his mood and delay the need for help with dressing, washing etc.

It has certainly done both of those things. We were told that it would probably only be effective for 2 years, but it's helped for 3 in our case.

OH has had no problems with side effects. Things are changing quickly now but we're grateful for three good years. Everyone is different but it might be worth a try.

Hope this helps.
JigJog x

Last edited:

Maldives13

Feb 4, 2014
Thank you so much for that - very encouraging.
Anybody else got any perspectives?

Thanks again

Spamar

Oct 5, 2013
Suffolk
OH had memantine after a short spell on quetiapine. He also took donepezil. It kept him calm until it was stopped about three months before his death.

nitram

Apr 6, 2011
Bury
I found that memantine combined with a low dose of sodium valproate calmed my wife down.

Maldives13

Feb 4, 2014
Thank you so much for sharing your experiences- been really helpful.
Hoping to persuade my father in law to give it a try!!

Mal2

Oct 14, 2014
Enfield
My husband has been on Aricept since 2004 and had Mementine added in 2014, and he has been good with it.

V-DiL

Oct 10, 2015
My MIL has been on Memantine since January and it has stabilized her no end - it's still tough as she is a fighting personality but it's definitely better. Good luck.